Pina Bausch’s “Cafe Müller” and “The Rite of Spring”

Pina Bausch’s pieces can only be described as unpredictable. However, it is this unpredictability that keeps the audience on the edge of their seats – both literally and figuratively. I constantly found myself leaning forward so I could take in the whole stage at once. It felt like if I focused on one part of the stage for too long I would miss something on the other side.The two pieces performed were unpredictable and somewhat chaotic, but in very different ways. While Cafe Müller’s set was chaotic, The Rite of Spring‘s actual choreography was unpredictable.

Both pieces used repetition but the effect it had on the audience was different. In Cafe Müller, there were chairs strewn across the stage, and the dancers were moving in an unsure way and there were many sudden changes in the quality of the movement like when they went from walking slowly across the stage to throwing themselves against a wall. The combination of these two aspects of the dance made me feel pretty uneasy. Meanwhile, in The Rite of Spring, there was organized chaos. The actual stage appeared hectic but upon closer examination, it’s clear that the dancers are all doing the same movements, just in different pathways and facings. One can tell that the choreography was specifically set to be that way because none of the dancers bumped into each other – their pathways were laid out and practiced until no one bumped into each other.

These differences affected the overall mood of the pieces, too. After Cafe Müller, I felt confused; I remember thinking to myself, “What just happened?” After The Rite of Spring, I was just as confused but I was also rattled and uncomfortable. The intensity of the choreography and the amount of movement going on at once gave a very eerie vibe. I felt challenged as an audience member because it was difficult to figure out the meaning and intention behind both pieces.

This entry was posted in Due Sept 26th @noon. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Pina Bausch’s “Cafe Müller” and “The Rite of Spring”

1. lizzho says:

I agree with your analysis. Even though the choreography for each piece was different (Cafe Muller was more chaotic compared to Rite of Spring), they both pulled at the audience’s attention and emotions in a similar way. I was also confused about what was happening but at the same time, I could not tear my eyes away from the stage. I didn’t want to miss any of the dancers movement, like if I payed proper attention, I could understand what Bausch was trying to show. I also liked how you noticed that even though the choreography was so chaotic, it was clearly planned since none of the dancers bumped into each other or the props.

2. reannahyatt says:

I think it is interesting how you said that Cafe Müller’s set was chaotic while The Rite of Spring’s choreography was unpredictable. I thought both dances contains elements of chaos and unpredictability, which entwines the dances with one another. They were different, yet similar. I like how you brought up repetition, as that was a clear symbol in both dances and expressed how the repetition contributed to affecting your mood by making you feel uneasy. The dance patterns that you pointed out in The Rite of Spring were not super apparent to me so I found that part of your post very interesting. We had similar reactions to the dances as well, they were confusing and presented a real challenge to understand.