The Clash of History with the Modern Age

Coney Island has always inspired a feeling of nostalgia for me; like I’d stepped backwards in time and ended up in some twilight zone where the world couldn’t decide if it wanted to move on or stand still. Passing by the old murals by the freak show and gazing up at the coney island hotel gives us a glimpse of what visitors saw and admired decades ago; its jarring to see the Wonder Wheel and know that people have been riding it since 1918. This disconnect between the past and the present is further amplified when you juxtapose the shiny, brightly lit modern rides of Luna Park with the older, less technologically enhanced amusements of Deno’s amusement park just next door. In this photograph, that dichotomy is clear. The Luna 360 stands polished and saturated across from the older and more muted Wonder Wheel. Its colors have dulled over time, and its old-fashioned design recalls a period when it was considered an example of the latest technological innovation. The photograph was taken around ten o’clock on a Sunday morning, so the rides stood deserted in the silence. The only people that were there were the park workers, and us. Occasionally, the sound of air compression from the rides would disturb the still air of the park. It was eerie, to see a place so colorful and fun be separated from the bustle of people and motion that it was meant to be in. I found that I enjoyed having the space to myself; being able to take in everything without distraction was an experience I’d never had at an amusement park. Seeing that space dead-quiet on a crisp Sunday morning made me feel an interesting sort of detachment from the reality of the commitments and responsibilities I had back home, because in that moment they didn’t exist. I was in a separate time, in a separate place where there was no such thing as a midterm paper.

This entry was posted in Due Oct. 24th @noon. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Clash of History with the Modern Age

1. lizzho says:

I found your analysis of Coney Island interesting. The juxtaposition between the old and the new could be aligned with the dichotomy of summertime Coney Island and the Coney Island you saw that Sunday morning. Both the old and the new Coney Island has amused and amazed a number of visitors. Although the island has changed and modernized, it’s spirit and purpose hasn’t. This is also apparent with your comparison of bustling Coney Island and the quiet morning version. Both fill you with wonder, just different kinds.

2. michellegaykov says:

I really liked how you compared the everyday hustle and bustle to the stillness and peace of the park at that time of day. I have been to this park quite recently with my mom and I completely understand the juxtaposition between the old and the new. Interestingly enough, this is something I talked about with my mom that day. I feel like the new has only added to the park. It has kept its beloved essence and people come here for the same reason they used to come. This is an excellent choice of structure to focus on and I believe that it will make for a great iMovie project.