The Rosevelt Island Tramway

For my group’s iMovie project, we decided to visit the Roosevelt Island Tramway. Roosevelt Island is only 2 miles long and 800 feet wide at its widest point. Prior to this, the closest I have ever gotten to taking the tram was hearing about Kimmy and Dong’s experience on it on the show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt where they began screaming and causing mass hysteria once they realize it’s just one wire holding them all up. However, my experience was not like that. Rather than being worried about my safety, it was a very relaxing experience as I saw the world from a new perspective. It felt like I was watching a movie as the camera pans across the East River – a movie that only costed one metro card swipe to see. I never even considered going to the island because I didn’t think there was anything worth doing over there. I figured since I’d be so close to Manhattan then I might as well go all the way there. But the scenery on the tram ride was so beautiful that, in the future, I will probably go back even if it’s just to experience the tram ride again. It was so different than taking the subway or a bus, where you have absolutely no space (because people push themselves in even though there’s clearly no space) but that may have been because of the time of day I took it. It is a very practical way to get to Roosevelt Island without having to get frustrated by the subway.

This entry was posted in Due Oct. 24th @noon, Weekly Blog Post. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The Rosevelt Island Tramway

1. marinov98 says:

I think it is very interesting that you realized how important the island really is. I also find it interesting that you experienced the exact opposite of what you thought you would experience. I also thought my space was just a simple subway station, but I was completely wrong. It turned out to have so much variety and opportunity that I regret ever denouncing the place. I am glad that we both found meaning in the spaces we live in and that we are going to learn even more about them now. I think you realized that even the journey to the space is quite significant and can add a lot of flexibility to your project.