Views from Different Perspectives

For our iMovie project, our group decided to focus on the most original, useful, and under appreciated part of the city: the subways. Although they may cause mayhem for tourists who try to maneuver their way to popular sites, for everyday New Yorkers they are a necessity. Our iMovie project will focus on a person’s journey, both physically and mentally, through the subways. It will focus on the different encounters a person could have on a train whether it be performance, a beggar, a fight, being on a crowded subway car, or being completely alone. I thought it would be very interesting to use the Q train for this assignment. This train connects all the way from Brooklyn to Manhattan and  unlike many trains, we get to see an above ground view of where we are going. The Q is rarely packed, and connects two separate islands to one another. I feel it is perfect for our iMovie because people who use the subways every single day rarely understand the feeling of seeing a whole city pass right before your eyes, considering we are stuck in a metal box for the entire ride. It would be interesting to focus on the different sights, sounds, smells, and views that come from different subway stations. As somebody who goes home many weekends my mother always drops me off at the Q station either in Brighton Beach or on her way to work in Brooklyn. I always look forward to seeing the train cross the bridge and it always elicits feelings of joy and astonishment; I feel like a kid in a candy shop. This feeling needs to be expressed in our iMovie project and this subway line is the perfect line to focus on. It gives a person the chance to really see the city for what it is.

This entry was posted in Due Oct. 24th @noon. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Views from Different Perspectives

1. reannahyatt says:

I really like your iMovie project idea. The subway system is something that I think many New Yorkers tend to take for granted, as we view it as an inconvenience while we struggle to get to our destinations. However, there is so much culture and life on the subway systems that we are so immune to that we under-appreciate its value. I really like how your group is bringing attention to this and I believe the Q train is a perfect train to use. As an common rider of the Q train, I feel like I have seen literally everything go down on that train so I can’t wait to see what you all will document. Also, I agree that going over the Manhattan Bridge is astonishing literally every time. Really interesting project idea!