Coney Island and its Transformations

This image was taken on the boardwalk of Coney Island. When an average person thinks about Coney Island they think about the beach, the boardwalk, the amusement park and the food available there. They might not necessarily remember the abundance of murals and art found in Coney Island. This picture includes both of these aspects on Coney Island. Coney Island is a diverse area which contains landmarks which are cultural and for entertainment. This image contains the rides in the background, the boardwalk, the beach the stores and the murals which are why this picture to me seems like a comprehensive and fair way to picture Coney Island. This picture is fair, especially to display this time of year because so much of the picture consists of the expansive sky which is a calming sight, this is relaxing nature is exactly what one feels at this time of year and this time of day when visiting Coney Island.

My group visited Coney Island in the afternoon on Saturday, it was a lot more populated than the last time we visited which was before noon on Sunday, there were definitely more people and the stores were now open. The arcade was open and there was music blasting from many stores and on the boardwalk. There were many families and elderly people taking walks and some people were exercising or jogging. Although, we know that the population on Saturday wouldn’t compare to that during the summer; there was, however, a significant amount of activity going on here which we were able to get footage of like of stores and shops like Nathan’s which were full and had long lines of people waiting to order. The arcade just opened and was filled with several families. We already had pictures and some footage of the murals, but now we also have footage of activity in stores, the beach, and the boardwalk. We came across many families either sharing food or taking a walk with younger kids. In my picture, there were seagulls caught mid-flight, and often we saw kids there chasing the birds while their parents watch over them. Despite the colder weather Coney Island still had activity, this tells us that Coney Island caters to a different demographic of people depending on the day of the week, time of day, and season. It practically transforms between seasons and we were able to capture the peacefulness and relaxing nature of Coney Island during autumn.

This entry was posted in Due Nov. 7th @noon, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Coney Island and its Transformations

1. marinov98 says:

I am impressed with the fact that you took the time to examine a different side of Coney island. I also like that you noticed how Coney Island changes based on season. This place actually interests me more now because of how you talked about everyone sharing food. Seems like a very welcoming environment that promotes altruism. In a sense, this place crushes the New York stereotype of people being mean. I am surprised that people of different ages are willing to participate in physical activity during the winter. Finally, I think you captured the space beautifully in this one picture. The seagulls are a really nice touch. I cannot wait to see how your iMovie turns out!