M. Butterfly

Even though we had expectations set for M. Butterfly based on our in class reading of the script, seeing it presented on a stage in all of its detailed glory was by far way better than I had anticipated. From the costume design to the sound effects and set design, every minute of the show was just as intriguing as the last.

I loved the way that this Broadway production used panels similar to those in the opera itself. The different images pasted upon them, such as those containing the bright colors displaying the salute to the Communist takeover in China and the faces of characters within the Chinese opera, brought all of these aspects to life. The eye catching designs kept us invested and really made me feel like I was fully submersed in the same culture that Gallimard was. Even during the opening scene, when the panels were bare and dimly lit by a single bulb, it felt as if we really were watching a cell. Seeing the environment in which all of these events were taking place created a new perspective, one in which we forget that the people we watch are just characters. They feel real.

Another aspect that I found myself absolutely amazed by was how well Jin Ha took on the role of Butterfly. Especially regarding the tone of voice that Ha used, which I can only imagine took at least months of training and practice, it was captured impeccably well. Small details such as hand motions and the enunciating of words in a particular manner carried the persona of Butterfly so thoroughly that I forgot it was a male depiction. Even during and after the reveal at the end, I found myself so emotionally invested in the relationship between Gallimard and Butterfly. We could so clearly see the pain felt by both of the characters, and the audience certainly felt it too.

This entry was posted in Due Nov. 21st @noon. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to M. Butterfly

1. Samantha Paucar says:

I really like that you pointed out how the decoration of the panels helped insert the audience into different settings/cultures. I agree immersion allows for us to forget that we are only audience members. These settings allowed for us to feel connected to this piece visually and emotionally. I was also very impressed by Jin Ha’s portrayal of Butterfly. He moved with such a grace that seemed to perfectly correspond with the fantasy of Butterfly. However, that grace has an undertone of great power as we saw in his performances at the Chinese opera. I think your blog post does a great job of highlighting how the settings and actors (which are usually the most noticeable things on stage) work together to create a story that we can invest ourselves in.

2. Jack says:

I also noticed how some of Rene’s scenes were so small, they looked like cells. I think it’s almost metaphorical as it’s told from Gallimard’s perspective. His relationship with Madame Butterfly was secretive and isolated from society, which was captured by the tiny room set up on stage when they were together. I also appreciated Jin Ha’s marvelous portrayal of Butterfly. I really did think he was a woman at a point; you can only truly appreciate the subtleties in his acting until the courtroom scene. As they begin addressing Butterfly as a man, I suddenly noticed a voice change that was all too subtle. It made the audience better understand how Gallimard was fooled for so long. A tragic ending, the play’s finale left me feeling devastated for Gallimard, who seemed psychologically confused about his life.