Club 57

This exhibit was full of very interesting pieces of art. It was hard for me to pick just one that was my favorite. One piece that caught my eye was the Collage for Club 57 Calendars. Since it was one of the first few things that i saw when i walked in, it caught my attention. THere was so much going on I felt like I had to stand there to see what it was all about.  The organization with a combination of

chaos really intrigued me. While there were so many things going on in such a small space, every picture or event name had it’s own place where it belonged. Some overlapped the lines between dates but that added to the chaos. Plus, the way the calendars were lined up so neatly made it all come together.The individual pictures on the calendar were interesting too. They ranged from skeleton hands to Tweety Bird, and swastikas to Betty Boop. It’s so interesting how they seem to have no relation but what they do have in common is club 57.

This piece fit in well with the exhibit as a whole because it all had a little bit of chaos involved in it. There were posters that had writing all over them, a cabinet with a drawing on it, and a room full of random objects and brightly colored paint that hurt my eyes to look at. Each piece had something chaotic about it but I think that’s what really described the time period – bright colors, random drawings, and little pictures of cartoon characters.

This entry was posted in Due Dec. 5th @noon, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.