Maybe it’s a Leap for Joy!

Initially when I saw Richard Hambleton’s shadowy painting, I wasn’t wearing my glasses and what I would later find that the painting was not of someone jumping for joy, but was something much darker. Even now, I can see it being an uplifting piece, but the colors are so muted and dark that I know it just can’t be. The figure’s hands hold this orb over its body, but it doesn’t look like he’s straining to hold it. Instead, its knees are bent outwards and the heels of its feet meet. Or maybe it IS an uplifting piece because you see, through the dark shading, lighter areas that imitate an actual light coming through on the painting. The painting almost reminds me of Buddha- the stereotypical image of Buddha has Buddha with his legs folded and his hands over his lap. The shadow painting looks like a stretched out version of the image of Buddha standing.

Many of the paintings show the effect that AIDS epidemic had on victims and families. And that goes to why I feel like this piece might not be dark- the orb that the figure is holding is maybe the weight of the disease. But still, the figure is not straining to hold the weight; it is not crushing him. Instead, the weight doesn’t even make full contact with the hands.The lightness has to symbolize a form of hope, and this figure is more of a warrior than anything else. So maybe it is a leap for joy- a message that AIDS is not the end of life.

This entry was posted in Due Dec. 5th @noon. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Maybe it’s a Leap for Joy!

1. Joyce says:

I liked your optimistic perspective on this supposed dark piece. It was interesting to see your analysis of the contrasting light versus dark and muted colors in the piece. When I first saw the piece, I thought the person was struggling in the dark and the orb was the source of help for the individual to escape this darkness. However, your idea about the orb representing the weight of the disease is interesting and creates hope for individuals who are suffering AIDS making this painting even more influential.