A Trio of New York Poems

When approaching these three poems, in order to truly understand and analyze them, I think about the time these poems were published and what was going on at that time. The first poem I read was “I Hear America Singing” by Walt Whitman. This poem was published in 1860 and acknowledges different common men in America, their jobs, and the pride they have in their jobs. During this time, slavery was a big issue in America. At the same time, however, Lincoln was nominated president and stood with the anti slavery movement. This causes more people to gain jobs while being proud of their work. Although the different men and women have different tasks, they each “sing” with pride their work. In addition, the Industrial Revolution was a big part of this time which creates another sense of patriotism through the people of America because of its great advancements. “I, too” by Langston Hughes was published in 1926. This is a time where many people are moving out of their farms to live in cities, New York City being a popular place among people who are planning to move because of its different communities. The 1920s is a decade of change because of how many people are starting to be consumers instead of farming what they need for themselves and being satisfied with that. America becomes a world power because of this, and American culture is now seen being spread throughout the whole world. Not only that, but different races become more confident in their work and potential, due to events happening in New York such as the Harlem Renaissance. In this poem, Langston Hughes describes that although “I am the darker brother”, he declares that soon he will be the wealthy one at the table having the most power rather than the servant (2). People in America are clearly now starting to become confident and patriotic regardless of their race. They believe in themselves, something that was not seen when African Americans were under slavery. “The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus was published in 1883. Around this time we know the second industrial revolution occurred which contained the advancements of electricity and steel. As Lazarus describes “a mighty woman with a torch” I automatically think of the Statue of Liberty (4). In the poem, Lazarus also describes this woman as a welcoming figure to many people coming in from different countries specifically looking for religious freedom and economic opportunity. The author of this poem clearly believes that America is the place where anyone should come to because of its reputation of making dreams happen. Not just America, but throughout the entire world, New York is seen as the prominent city where work happens and anything can get done.

Although these three poems were all written at different times, they all carry a common theme. The theme of being patriotic and open to every race is seen in all three of these poems. Instead of being labeled as where you came from or who your grandparents were, we now are all labeled as one, Americans. Americans who have the same pride for the same country. Hughes is aware that his race is different than the people who he is serving, however he realizes that they are both in America, where everyone now has the same chance at being successful, especially in the 1920s. Whitman describes different jobs belonging to different people however connects them in their shared love and pride for working in America. Lazarus is patriotic herself, as she describes the Statue of Liberty that is going to be given to America soon which will ultimately let anyone in and give everyone the same chance. She explains that the Statue will constantly cry, “Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!” (13-14). The golden door is a symbol of America in this description. All of these authors were raised in New York, which says a lot about their perspective on work and change in America, since New York was a prominent place for immigrants to settle and find opportunity.

Michelle Nazar M.N