ACT UP

ACT-UP is an advocacy group working to impact the lives of people who have AIDS. Their goal is to bring awareness to leaders and people of power in order to achieve more solutions and hopefully find a cure for this disease. Many people passed away and are being affected by AIDS, however there is not much resource for the disease. So, ACT-UP directly uses sacred spaces, spaces that hold a lot of respect and importance to many people, in order to make their voice heard. We discussed protests in front of the White House as well as St. Patricks Cathedral. Loud noises and violence surrounds these sacred spaces in order to gain as much attention as possible, which made their group stick out and hold a lot of power.

For me, if someone were to do what we saw in front of the synagogue I belonged to, I would lose a lot of respect for the people rioting. This is one of the only places for people that are religious to come to and expect peace and quiet, and ruining that is over the top and downright disrespectful. I believe that there is a time and place for everything and many people might have been going to church for personal, also upsetting reasons and to hear shouting and violence right outside the door is immature to me. However, I believe protesting in front of the White House is fair game because its directly to the people that should be on top of this topic.

My topic is how cab drivers are suffering financially because of ride sharing applications like Uber and Lyft. What’s effective from history is using political art along with actual marches directly where it is necessary. I think cab drivers in New York City should learn from this, as I have not seen any protests, art or marches about this topic. Therefore, it makes it seem like it is not worthy of anyone’s time.

MN