John F. Kennedy International Airport has been a source of headaches for Howard Beach, Queens residents – figuratively and literally – ever since it opened in 1948. Originally planned as a 1,000-acre airport, Kennedy Airport now covers 4,930 acres, serving more than 40 million passengers each year. To this day, inhabitants continue to grapple with numerous environmental concerns caused by their proximity to the airport, including noise, air, and water pollution.

Out on the streets, there is no shortage of residents willing to voice their frustrations with the airport.

“The noise issue has been a problem for a long time for people in the neighborhood,” says Michael Marrone, 21. Isabel Palmieri, 45, another long-time resident, is quick to agree:

“I think that it has gotten better over the years, but I definitely think it is still an issue. I mean, since we’re so close to the airport, it’s probably unavoidable. But I think they’ve made new rules for noise pollution and things like that.”

“On the other hand,” Palmieri’s friend Irene Cristo, also 45, adds, “I’ve heard that New York City is a more popular destination now. Like in the 70’s and 80’s, I don’t know, it didn’t seem to me like the tourist thing was as big. Not like it is now. And since JFK is the international airport, it’s probably getting a lot more traffic nowadays, and I’d think that would have some kind of effect.”

In fact, statistics agree. Plane movements at JFK over the years have increased. According to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates Kennedy, the airport moved 307,527 planes in 1980, and 343,388 in 1999. Though 9-11 fears and security increases reduced the amount of traffic for a few years, 2004 and after saw an increase in movement at JFK: 320,013 in 2004, up to 443,752 in 2007, with 47,716,941 passengers recorded – the largest numbers to date.

So what does this all mean for residents of Howard Beach?

“More noise, I would say,” Palmieri replies. “I think a lot of people are used to it, but it’s sort of one of those annoyances you learn to live with. But I the houses closer to the airport tend to be cheaper, because rich people don’t want to be near the airport and train and stuff, you know?”

Aside from the noise pollution, there are also other problems associated with living near airports. Air pollution from airport operations is also a big concern, as prolonged exposure to higher levels of pollution can adversely affect the health of the local population.

Linda Luther, an Environmental Policy Analyst, submitted a report to Congress in 2007 detailing some of these problems, which included air quality issues. Airport emissions affecting local air quality come from a variety of sources, including aircraft, motor vehicles (e.g. passengers’ vehicles, cars and buses for airport operations, employee vehicles), ground service equipment, and stationary sources (e.g. boilers, incinerators).
Such operations can produce a variety of air pollutants, including “volatile organic compounds”, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter, among other potentially hazardous air pollutants. Even Luther’s report admits, however, that aircraft emissions are largely outside the control of the airport.

“For local residents, this [kind of pollution] would translate to increased risk for conditions like asthma and other respiratory problems,” says Dr. Osman, a local physician. “For children especially. Though with city life being what it is, it would be hard to say if living near the airport caused it.”
Howard Beach’s proximity to the airport also has repercussions on local water quality. Jamaica Bay, directly adjacent to Howard Beach and sharing much of its shoreline, receives a great deal of storm water run-off and other water pollutants from JFK.

“It’s really bad for the environment,” Amanda Fu, a 17-year-old student from the Bronx High School of Science says. After researching Jamaica Bay for an environmental science class, she was inspired to join her school’s League for Environmental and Animal Protection (LEAP) club.

“There’s plenty of stuff that’s just dumped into the bay. But also, storm run-off is really bad because of the chemicals from the runway and tarmac are in it. Like de-icing chemicals, which prevent the runway from freezing over. But when it gets washed into the water, it’s terrible for the environment.”

Fu also dislikes the location of JFK airport for another reason: its interference with surrounding habitats.

“When you live in New York City, it’s hard to remember that other animals live here, too,” she says, “aside from squirrels and pigeons. Jamaica Bay has a huge amount of protected wildlife. Especially birds. Certain birds also, migrate through this area – and that’s the other problem with JFK. In order to prevent bird strikes (accidents involving bird-plane collisions), JFK has to find ways to get rid of them.” For JFK, this often means getting rid of nesting areas and sources of food.

“Everything affects something else, though. For example, since there are more short grassy areas – like lawns or fields – Canada geese like stick around. The urbanish environment in NYC, and the lack of predators actually somewhat encourages them. So in recent years, their numbers have exploded, since more of them stay here all year now. So if you apply this idea to the areas around airports, that means that once you start messing with the ecosystem, some other problem is bound to come up.”
Like many people, however, Fu is also reluctant to offer solutions for the environmental problems created by local airports.

“There’s no denying that the airport is really important for New York City, socially and economically. So unless we suddenly come up with a lot of new environmentally-friendly, zero-impact technology or something, I doubt any drastic environmentalist movement is going to happen anytime soon.”