A Midsummer Night’s Mare

The date was Tuesday June 14th / Wednesday June 15th, 2016. I had dragged my friend along with me to see my favorite group, Florence and the Machine, live at Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn. It was either the concert or the train ride after it, but I can’t forget that night. Since the MTA likes to mess with my emotions, I had to take a different route home from the one that I had planned. All was well because the trains were packed with people who shared my love for Florence Welch. Being out late at night was already making me uneasy, so the last thing I needed was a drunk man shouting on the train. He fell asleep quickly but dropped his drink which went into where the conductor was. This contributed to what ended up making this night memorable.

I have an inexplicable fear of vomiting. Of course, luck would have it that some man, who was under the influence of who knows what substances, emptied the contents of his stomach on the same train car I was on, only a few seats behind mine. I only realized what had happened when my friend told me not to turn around so I naturally decided to turn around. We were one stop away from our transfer station when this happened. When the train pulled up to 59th street, the doors were not opening. We heard the conductor reporting some sort of unidentified liquid in the cabin and a sanitary condition in the car. We were there for what seemed like ages but was probably just a few minutes. When the conductor decided to let us out, she came out of the cabin and walked to the other end of the car to open one half of the last door. We had to walk over this man’s vomit and I had the privilege of standing behind him as we waited to exit. Moral of the story is don’t take the D train late at night.