Hurricane Sandy

My experience with Hurricane Sandy is somewhat unconventional compared with what I’ve heard from my friends’ stories.

For one thing, I was barely affected by the storm. The lights never flickered, and the water was unaffected by the storm. The electricity worked, so I had no issue with watching the TV or using the internet. The only real indication that a hurricane existed was the howling of the wind, especially since we lived on the 20th floor of our building. Although I do indeed live in Manhattan, I suppose geography played a part in why nothing inconvenient happened. I live in Inwood, on a hill, where the ground floor of my building is between 150 and 200 feet above sea level.

Since my brother and I had no school due to the hurricane, we invited some of our friends to come up to our apartment. Thankfully, we had a lot of food in our pantry and our stove and oven were working. We made pie, strawberry pie to be exact. We also found the time to make homemade pizza and Oreo cheesecake. They were quite delicious. My friends and I also played both video games and board games to stave off the boredom. Monopoly was one such board game that we actually spent several hours playing. My brother won the game of course, as per usual. He always wins at Monopoly…

As for the rest of the week, since school was closed, my brother and I ended up lazing about, doing nothing except for eating, sleeping, and surfing the internet. We were quite lucky in that nothing horrible happened to us.