Sandy Experience

During Sandy, I remember my father driving my mother, my sister, and I down three blocks to the water’s edge. Here you could see the water was already rising up, and the waves where propelling water over the five foot elevation from where the water ended and the street began. While there was a storm nearing several of my neighbors stood in awe at the waves and the drastic change they were displaying from their usual calm state. The houses that lined the water had their garage doors barricaded with sandbags, and their cars locked away inside. These few houses where the only ones in my neighborhood in true danger of having flooding due to the grade of the hill that my neighborhood lies on. After the storm had come and passed the only true remnants of the storm where fallen trees, and a loss of power on certain blocks. Luckily within a week power was mostly restored and most debris was cleaned off of the roads. I know that my neighborhood was very lucky in how they storm turned out for them, many kids i went to school with were not as luckily since many of them lived in Far Rockaway, or Howard Beach. For months after my school collected donations and offered food to students affected by the stor till their families could get back on their feets. Our yearly walk-a-thon was even revamped to collect money to help those who were severely hurt by the storm.