The Purpose of Higher Education

In a Ted Talk, Fred D’ Agostino argues that the primary purpose of higher education is not to get a job and secure financial stability. He doesn’t deny that college education affords economic benefit on both the macro (we have a more able work force) and micro (the individual augments his earning potential) level, but he maintains that a college education should be about building a “robust democracy” and a “civilized society.” College provides us with the knowledge and tools to directly participate in our society. A college graduate is better equipped to speak intelligently about issues and take part in the solution. Higher education also expands democracy by putting everyone in the same classroom, which in some way equalizes us. And as D’ Agostino articulates, to be part of a larger democratic society, there needs to be a mutual respect between citizens. The equality afforded in a diverse college classroom helps people develop this mutual respect.

D’ Agostiono’s argument goes beyond the idea that college makes us into well-rounded individuals who can relate to many different people. He is saying that that college is a privilege. And with that privilege comes certain responsibilities, namely to use what we’ve learned to give back to our communities. D’ Agostino’s perspective definitely resonates with me. It gives me a sense of being a part of something larger and empowers me to directly cause the expansion of democracy. After all, government wouldn’t provide me with the tools to become an active citizen if they didn’t believe I had the potential to affect a meaningful change.

Here’s a link to the TED Talk if you want to check it out:  Fred D’ Agostino on Higher Education