What I Want in the New Dean of Macaulay

Next week, I am going to meet one of the candidates for the new Dean of Macaulay. I’m really excited to hear about what this person can bring and what new things he/she plans to implement.

Earlier this week, along with a few of our classmates, I met with Ann Kirschner, former Dean of Macaulay, and spoke about a multitude of things with her. With the final question, I asked what qualities she thought the new dean should have. To me, her answer was basically this: we need someone who will uphold the student-centered structure and atmosphere of Macaulay (there was more to it, but this was most striking). I totally agree with her.

I think the new dean at Macaulay needs to understand that the students, their education, their extracurricular activities, and their opportunities should be at the top of the priority list. Macaulay is known for offering free tuition, campus advisement, the opportunities fund, and much more. Our new dean, rather than bring something new to the table, needs to improve what Macaulay already has on the table.

Next week when I meet our potential next dean, I am going to ask how he/she is going to improve our academics, the club activities on W 67th, and the opportunities fund – three of the things I find really important. Recently with the changes to the Macaulay tuition policy, a reduction in op fund approvals, and Governor Cuomo seemingly wanting to abandon CUNY in terms of state funding, getting money is also super important when it comes to hiring a new dean.

Next week, when I meet the candidate, I am going to consider multiple things. Most importantly, we need this person to understand what Macaulay is about: the students! In addition to that, we need someone who will be able to get funds for Macaulay so that our students can continue to get all of the benefits that it currently offers. Finally, this person must have the future in mind – long-term goals.

What are some specific things you guys want out of our new dean? I think it’s worth talking about!

2 thoughts on “What I Want in the New Dean of Macaulay”

1. Chris, you really hit the nail on the head. Our dean really needs to be focused on helping the students of Macaulay. After all, that what she/he is there for. I think finding ways to revamp the opportunities fund is crucial since it’s one of the incredible things Macaulay offers.

I’d also like to see our new dean find a way to help students feel more connected to Macaulay. Sometimes I feel like I’m more a part of Brooklyn College than Macaulay. I think this is because most of my day to day college activities relate to regular Brooklyn College tasks, while my only connection to Macaulay each semester is the seminar class (which I won’t even have after this semester).

Regardless, I think that as long as our new dean keeps the students in mind he/she will be successful.

2. Jason, I definitely agree with your point. Besides for the occasional common event and the seminars, it’s hard to feel like we’re a cohesive unit. I’m always getting e-mails about events at the Macaulay building that sound really interesting, but I usually just don’t have the time for the commute. When I speak to Macaulay students from other campuses that are closer to the Columbus Circle site, they seem to be more involved in the Macaulay community. Although it may sound inherently divisive, I think having another Macaulay campus closer to Brooklyn College might help. However, with all the talk about the funding shortage, I understand that this is not probably not feasible right now.