Im not a critic but here goes

One thing that was so amazing about Asuncion was that it was intriguing yet humorous, which I think is very hard to accomplish. I think that Jesse Eisenberg did a great job in writing the play and acting in it. The other actors, especially Justin Bartha, were so amazing. They became so involved in what they were doing and it made the play very believable and relatable. I really felt for Edgar when he wasn’t invited to hang out with Asuncion and Vinny, especially since he was trying so hard to prove he was fun. Overall, I loved the play because it was funny, yet it made me think about my own ignorance.

There is a significance to the play, which is not to judge people and stereotype them. This message was clear throughout the play. Edgar and Vinny are supposed to be very open-minded individuals, who are worldly and knowledgeable. These qualities are questioned during the play, and you realize that Edgar and Vinny are just ignorant. Edgar constantly boasts about visiting Cambodia and living there, and it was actually just for two days. He feels that the Philippines and Cambodia are the same place. It’s interesting because there’s a world map hanging in the back but it’s somewhat pointless for it to be hanging there when no one’s going to bother to use it. The play was very effective in conveying its message, which was to not be racist.

However, I felt like there was something more going on. The complexities of Edgar and Vinny’s relationship were not explored enough; not a lot of background information was provided. The only information the audience knew was that Vinny was Edgar’s TA three years ago. I don’t think that was enough. I felt their relationship was important and meaningful but it remained unclear. Even though the play is named Asuncion, after Stuart’s wife, the main focus for me was Vinny and Edgar’s relationship. For some reason, Edgar feels the need to please Vinny. He’s so willing to do anything and everything for him. Edgar feels the need to constantly imply how worldly and educated he is to mask his insecurities and make Vinny like him. This aspect of the play was vague but overall, the play was very effective. Jesse Eisenberg, as a playwright, was successful in expressing how stereotypes never apply to everybody and how important it is for people to not judge others.

I found the play to be so amusing and funny but there was something that was missing. I didn’t realize what it was until I began this blog and was forced to think deeper into it. It just feels incomplete because I don’t know what happens after the last scene. Does Edgar make his journey to Africa, or does he continue to live with Vinny?

This entry was posted in 07.Asuncíon, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.