So…you’re not a hooker?

Let’s get real here, I don’t think I (as well as everybody else) could catch my breathe while watching this play. Word after word was just hysterical. Whether it was from the lighting of Justin Bartha’s first joint to Jesse Eisenberg’s sketchy explaination of his $169 journey to Africa, I could not stop laughing. I really enjoyed Zombieland but I did not think Eisenberg had it in him to be this funny…or awkward.

I won’t lie, before I went to see the show I looked up what exactly it was supposed to be. I read something along the lines of “two room mates have their liberal views tested as they take in an immigrant…” It’s safe to say I didn’t really get what was expected based off of that review. Yes, they both obviously had liberal views, but I don’t see how they were tested. I don’t think the play really touched on the topic of immigration, per se. To me, the more prominent issue was judgement. Does that judgement come from the fact that Asuncion is an immigrant? Maaaaybe. Eisenberg judged Asuncion because she came from the Philippines. His older brother judged him because he lived with his previous TA. His TA judged him because he was writing a story about Asuncion when she didn’t even know it. The whole play came to a screeching halt when everyone came to reality with their judgements. It was no longer funny that Eisenberg was a creepy brother-in-law, or that Bartha suggested something  more  from Eisenberg. It was just awkward…which might be Eisenberg’s speciality besides comedy.

Do I think this play was effective? I guess I depends on what terms you’re asking. I agree with Eric entirely. While the play was beyond hysterical, the political messages just weren’t there. Was I supposed to be leaving the theater chasing Jesse Eisenberg to tell him he’s ridiculously amusing and can I get a picture or asking just where he stands on illegal immigration and who I should consider voting for as president? As much as I love this play and would recommend it to anybody, it would be for comical reason only not to have your political stance tested.

(Ps. Jesse Eisenberg is adorable and Justin Bartha’s butt is fiiiiine, even though he gained some weight)

This entry was posted in 07.Asuncíon, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.