OMG! Jesse Eisenberg is a Comedian?!?!

Hola, mis amigos buenos! Today I want to utilize this auspicious opportunity to remark on the play Asuncion. Wow, what a great play! I thought as soon as the played had ended. The impeccable acting and the tremendous amount of comedy revealed in the play definitely grasped my attention for 2 whole hours. This is by far the best performance I have seen thus far. To tell you the truth, I actually felt upset when I thought the play was over, but it was actually the intermission (how naive of me to think so…)! Knowing that there was more of the play left, my morale was boosted. I strongly feel that the witty comments, music, and the characters’ wonderful acting as a whole contributed to the success of this play. I just couldn’t help but laugh every time I heard “Where’s my….OJ,” especially when Eisenberg was trying to look cool saying it. Furthermore, the scene where Eisenberg’s TA says continue cleaning the bathroom was hilarious! I almost lost my breath laughing.

Asides from the comedy incorporated into the play, I truly loved the style in which the set was designed. For instance, the arrangement of the furniture and the pillar with lights of various colors added to the creativity of the play, in my opinion. Everything seemed well organized. Also, the characters’ acting was beautifully done; it was genuinely amazing to see how each and every character got so involved in their role. Moreover, the quick pace of the play and the prodigious amount of energy involved made the play seem so much more vivacious and enabled to engage the audience thoroughly (I could tell from the several people laughing hysterically). Who knew Eisenberg stored so much energy within him, as seen from his endless movements from one place to another in the play. Another thing I would like to add is the facial expressions of the characters. All the characters displayed effective emotions and the facial expressions they made accurately matched the situations they were in. All I can say is the play was performed exceptionally well.

While the play was effective in producing much laughter, it didn’t do so well in conveying its messages, in my opinion. I understood that the message the play was trying to get across was “to not judge a book by its cover.” In other words, people make instant assumptions of an individual’s character without any concrete evidence. For example, Eisenberg’s character thought that Asuncion was a “sex slave” because it was a common practice in the Philippines. I found this to be absurd, because you can’t just judge a person from where they came from. An example that best exemplifies this concept is the 9/11 terrorist attack. Sadly and incorrectly, some people think that just because someone came from a Muslim country means they’re a terrorist. However, this is not the case. It’s a misconception several people form and they judge an entire race of people (Muslims) based upon the 9/11 tragedy. Absolutely horrible…In the play, Asuncion, comedy was more effective than the message that was conveyed because the gravity of the play was severely diminished by its hysterical remarks. Overall, if the play yielded more instances of being serious about the situation at hand, I think that this message would have been more thoroughly received by the audience.

Compared to other plays I have seen so far, Asuncion produced more good than bad, and I really enjoyed it a lot. It was definitely scintillating to meet Hollywood stars for the first time and they were friendly people, as well. I don’t think there’s anything bad I could say about the play at all, in fact. Everything appealed to me: the music, the acting, the atmosphere, the costumes, etc. After viewing this play, I can’t imagine what the next one is going to be like! All I can say is that watching all these performances have led to a new-found liking of theater for me 😀

This entry was posted in 07.Asuncíon, Blog. Bookmark the permalink.