What is ART?

What is art? There is no blunt definition per say, which makes it that much more interesting to explore. I took the time to wander around the streets surrounding Baruch College to try to find my own answer to that very question. Through my journey, I was able to truly grasp what art is through my own perception. First, I walked to Madison Square Park and geared off in the direction of the  Flatiron Building. There was a sitting area across the street and with the first photo, I was able to capture the emotion of several individuals. There are people admiring the buildings around them, getting work done, talking to one another, or simply taking the time to bask in the sunlight. The background of the picture reminds me that this is an urban setting surrounding a petite secluded area. Throughout all the hustle and bustle of New York City, many people simply take the time out of their day to admire, or to close their eyes and relax. I viewed this photograph as art due to the fact that each person depicts an artist, full of emotions and ideas, each representing different stories and backgrounds. Every individual in this first photo has come from a different background which initially embodies the importance and magnificence of New York City as a whole. Since that photograph radiated so much emotion from me, I do not even have to think twice about whether it is art or not.

The second photo was difficult to pinpoint if it was art or not. Street art is present all throughout all of New York City, and some even date back to the early 19th century. There are millions of aspiring artists all over town who express their outlooks and opinions in murals. In my eyes, this photograph meant absolutely nothing to me nor did the painting affect me in any sort of way. Street art is interpreted differently by each and every single person that comes across by it, making the photograph that much harder to determine whether or not it was art. Some that walk by would be drawn to the layout of the mural, the thought provoking questions that arise from looking at it, or simply the beauty of the piece. Therefore, I was able to distinguish that, to me, this photo was not art – but the piece can very easily mean something to the next person who lays their eyes on the image.

The last photo I took was without a doubt not art. The picture was taken in front of a restaurant on East 19th and Broadway. In my eyes, the bike is only there to provide a sort of aesthetic vibe to appeal to the eyes of possible customers. I do not generally think this is considered art if the bike is there to draw attention and entice people into the restaurant. The bike is simply there so that it attracts people to eat at that restaurant, and spend their money there. The bike is not meant to evoke emotion or feelings from people. The bike is simply a clever business tool that the restaurant staff had come up with. I do not deny the fact that the bike is aesthetically pleasing, but that does not mean it is art.

This walking photo-taking experience led me to a clearer, and broader understanding that there is simply no just definition for art. Art is viewed and determined through the eyes of the observer and, therefore, if evoking a deeper intimate feeling in that observer, it is cogitated art.

Karina Karazhbey

1. In regards to the second photo, I understand why you would have a uncertainty as to whether you would or would not classify it as art. I do feel however that whichever artist created it, infused it with some degree of creativity and thought. Because street art is so often stumbled upon, it almost becomes ordinary however I feel that this portrait is unique and therefore tells some sort of story.

2. Looking at the second picture, I was almost sure that you would say it was art! Which goes to show how subjective art really is. I completely agree that street art is interpreted by everyone differently, sometimes as something negative like vandalism and sometimes like art. Personally, the photo made me smile and I wanted to go and see it! I quickly made a story in my head about the relationship between the two pineapple people. I think that art’s most valuable quality is it’s subjectivity and your post made me realize it. Thank you!

3. I love the second photograph. Even if its “meaning” (if there even is one) is not immediately apparent, I imagine this mural brought a smile to more than one person’s face. It is intriguing, humorous, and visually appealing. For this reason, I would consider it art.

4. In regard to the second picture you took, I agree with you that street art is often interpreted differently by those who come across. However, I also think, that in its own right, it deserves to be considered art. Anyone who walks past it would most probably say “wow that street art is…” whether or not it resonates or grants at least a single glance. The public would normally deem it street “art.” I myself consider that a type of art, even though I cant pinpoint why. But i can definitely understand why it may not be considered an art-form. After all, where does a suit or dress with a pineapple for a head fit in with my own life?

5. I totally agree with you on the last picture. I too don’t believe that aesthetically pleasing objects and surroundings are considered art. They only bring out a sense of visual satisfaction instead of actual thoughts and questions and other deeper connections.