What is Art?

Art is everywhere. It’s in our homes, on our streets, and even in our subways. We see it every single day. But can any of us really define what it is?

In all honesty, I can’t give you a universal definition of what art is. I don’t think anyone can. Art, in its very nature, is subjective. As cliché as it sounds, we all see things differently. No one person sees the same picture when they look at a Pollock painting. No one feels the same when they watch Star Wars.

Everyone values different things. And that is okay.

We are not bound by the textbook definition of art just being paintings and sculptures. Art is whatever we envision it to be.

This first photograph was taken in my home town of Richmond Hill, Queens. At first glance, it doesn’t look like much –  A bunch of blue pebbles in an old fountain. But when I look at it, I think of Angel, my pet fish, and the blue pebbles at the bottom of his tank. I think about how he was my first pet and in conjunction my first responsibility. I think about waking up every morning and feeding him his tetracolor flakes and occasionally cleaning his tank.

Not very deep, I know. But, that’s the thing about art, it doesn’t have to be.

This second photograph, I actually took on the Baruch campus. On the 14th floor of the Lawrence and Eris Field Building, to be exact. I was an hour early to my English class when I saw this girl with the brightest sneakers. I thought to myself, what are those? Then I thought to myself, those are hers. They’re her statement piece – a reflection of who she is. If I saw those in a store, I would probably look at them and walk in the opposite direction. But seeing them on her, made all the difference. I started thinking about her character and how bold she was.  In that moment, she was art.

Some might disagree. Some might say, that this is just a random photograph of a random girl. Some might say, that clothing is not art. To me, it is. What we wear is an expression of who we are.

Finally, this last photograph, as you can see, is a bunch of black garbage bags lined up in a row. Personally, when I see this I don’t feel anything. I just think to myself, “wow these people have a lot of garbage.” But maybe someone might pass by and might relate to it. Maybe it reminds them of taking out the garbage for the first time as a kid, or maybe it runs much deeper and reminds them of things they have let go.

Art can be literally anything. It can be some graffiti on a wall, it can be a pile of rocks, or it can be a street sign. Art is based upon an individual’s perception. Art is personal and therefore not subject to limitation.

Alyssa Motilal

1. I love the meaning and the significance behind your first photo. It may not mean much to me, but I know it means something to you and that it why you consider it art. I can take the time to really appreciate your story and your view of this photo and therefore, I can even interpret it to be art, myself. I held a very similar view of what I considered to be art for this assignment. The art I saw had meaning to me- it invoked an emotion of a memory or even just emotions itself. I also agree that the last photo just isn’t considered art- again, in a personal light. The garbage bags hold no meaning to me. I think you’re right. I don’t think art can be held to limitations. It is like telling human beings how to be a PERSON. There is no clear definition and because every human being is so uniquely different I think it’s normal for one to ask oneself, “can we truly define art as something that can only live within certain boundaries?”

2. Hi,
    I love your reflection on the pictures such as the blue rocks that remind you of your pet fish. You proved that art can literally be anything like you stated in your conclusion. You felt something when you saw the rocks, and that’s what art truly is. My third picture was also similar to yours. I took a picture of trash on the floor as well because I didn’t feel any connection towards it compared to my other pictures. I would also consider the second picture art as well because it’s telling a story. The observer would have questions on who the girl is, and the color of her shoes. Overall, I just wanted to say great job! You had interesting photos.

3. I loved the second story/picture you posted. It was the honest truth. Clothing is a great example of art and most importantly are is subjective to the individual. Additionally, when viewing your first post of pebbles in a fountain at first glance was something natural and I didn’t think it was art. After hearing your connection my emotion towards the pebbles in the fountain shifted and I had a much more enjoyable time looking at the picture.
    Great work,
    Andrew Langer

4. When you wrote about the fact that everyone values something different, you really made me think. I 100% agree with it because everyone has their own belief system, and within that, their own idea of what art consists of. I believe your pictures really illustrated that element of being subjective very well because you displayed and acknowledged the fact that what is art, or not art, to you can be viewed as different in someone else’s eyes. I may look at your photos and say, wow that resonates deeply with me and I would consider it an art piece, while the next person to see it can think the complete opposite.