A journey to the Guggenheim

Many components go into building planning. For example, if one is designing a center for the Arts, they will carefully contemplate the following components mentioned. What should the structure of the museum be in order to allow viewers to observe the displays with ease? How accessible is the museum in terms of location and financials? Which type of cliental will this museum appeal to?

As I embarked on route to the Guggenheim museum, I was pretty satisfied with a quick subway ride up, making the journey fairly convenient. Of course, not everyone that visits the museum from the same location as me, however, being in the heart of New York City, right on Fifth Ave, it is a fairly accessible location from many areas.

The structure of the museum was quite magnificent. The tall spiral and circular like architecture made the museum both internally and externally unique. This structure allowed one to look at paintings from all directions. The ability to look at the paintings from afar and up close is interesting because the details in the paintings seem to soften or sharpen depending on where one is standing. I think this sort of structural design is brilliant because it allows the viewer to have multiple interpretations or likings towards specific paintings. For example, I looked at a certain impressionist painting from one side of the circular floor and then I examined it fairly closely. Standing far away, the painting seemed like a beautiful scenic landscape. However, when I looked up close, I was able to see the multiple brushstrokes and shadings. The painting became so much more detailed and brilliant to me.

The eclectic collection of paintings on display tell a lot about the collector himself. Solomon Guggenheim did not only have a liking for one specific genre of art. There were impressionist paintings and post impressionist paintings. There were multiple classic Symbolist paintings and lots of modern art. In addition to the many paintings, I saw a decent variety of sculptural art.

The variety of art Solomon Guggenheim collected helps one understand that the American value for art is incredibly diverse. I think that now, the appreciation of diversity is a concept society is very conscious of. However, I am not so sure that American society was as conscious and appreciative of diversity in the early 1900s. I feel the collection Guggenheim amassed indicates the beginning of that shift towards our appreciation.

If I were to create a museum, I would definitely display a unique variety of multiple types of art. I would display art from all over the world, from all different time periods and of all different fashions. This way, visitors from all over the world could view the art and connect back to cultural roots while simultaneously learning of new cultures as they develop a newfound appreciation for multiple artistic origins.

In contrast to the Guggenheim museum, I would offer free admissions. This would enable anyone with the desire to explore the arts the chance to do, regardless of their financial ability.

1. I agree with the pricing argument. I think that prices should be reasonable enough for everyone to access the art, but also so that the museum can still function. I think one big part of the museum was its circular design. I think that it is interesting to compare the museum to the art that it holds. I never thought of it that way. It is interesting to feel the feelings when making the ascent up the rotunda.

2. I remember running with you to the Guggenheim and how we stopped when we got there because we knew we arrived at a masterpiece structure. I definitely agree with free admission but only for students. The diversity the museum presents is truly amazing and throughout time American society took notice of it. The museum is a perfect example of that. Great Job!!!!!
    Alon Bezalel