A Trip to the Guggenheim

The Guggenheim is listed as one of the “must-see!” locations in all of New York City on virtually every New York City tourism site. This isn’t done in vain, because the Guggenheim is truly one a work of art in itself. The architectural feat that is the Guggenheim is breathtaking, both to a tourist and a New York City native who has visited the museum several times.

I’ve always felt that the Guggenheim provides a comfort and private feeling that no other museum in New York City can quite achieve. Perhaps it is the encompassing landscape of white that greets you from both the exterior and when you step through the glass doors. Perhaps it is the smooth upward slopes that double as stairs. Or perhaps it is the private little alcoves nestles within the rougher outer circles of displays. Whatever it is, the Guggenheim can always provide me the feeling of having a private viewing of artwork whether I am alone or whether I am with a large group of college students.

Although I’ve visited the Guggenheim before, both as a young child and as of just a few months ago, this was the first time I think I truly appreciated both the Guggenheim itself and what it had to offer. I’ve always left the artwork to my own wandering interpretation, but with a guided tour, I was able to peek into perspectives I know I would never have fathomed on my own- and it was brilliant. I was fascinated with the rich and passionate way our tour guide introduced us to each piece of artwork. There was something about the way he spoke; it was as if he was introducing a dear friend to a stranger. Our tour guide peeled back the layers of each painting; of each portrait; of each sketch and he guided us into the minds of the artists themselves.

Anything or anyone who can cause one to delve deeper into themselves, past limits and preconceived notions stored in the mind has always been a great addiction of mine. It is like skies of possibilities opening up. The remarks of the guides and the challenge to see the work in a different light brought to me new expectations for broadening my perspectives and expanding my lines of judgement.

If I had the privilege of creating my own museum, I would choose to display work that reflected my deepest thoughts, my purest emotions, my most meaningful moments. The works displayed in my gallery would reflect who I truly am; unabashed, unashamed and untethered.

My artwork defines who I am and it gives me a clarity that I can find no where else about myself.

There would be snapshots from my life.

Photographs I fell in love with in its creation.

The pieces displayed would be recognitions of the people I love the most in my life.

In essence, I want my museum to reflect this quote I spotted on the walls of the Guggenheim upon our visit: 

The pieces I display in my museum will reflect the pictures, the paintings, the sketches and the memories that have lived with me because I, felt them so deeply.

I want my museum to tell the narrative of who I am. I want my museum to be unashamedly personal. To be thought-provoking upon oneself. To be full of pure and raw emotion. To be truthful. To be eye-opening and sympathetic.

1. I definitely agree with you regarding the tour guide providing a means of coming to a meaningful interpretation of the art. I’ve been to several museums unaccompanied by a guide and I have almost no recollection of those experiences. I love your word choice in describing the guide as introducing a stranger to a friend, though we may not have had the same guide, because he definitely appeared to be trying to put into words his appreciation and interpretation of each art work. I find your idea of opening an art museum that would convey your personality and life story very innovative. It reminds me of the relationship between designers and their clothing lines, as well as musicians and their craft. Great blog!

2. Wow! Your post is beautiful. I really related to what you said about the guided tour impacting how you viewed the art. In the past, when I visited other museums, I would focus so much on my own interpretation that I wouldn’t notice all the little details – the direction of the brushstrokes, the blending of colors, and the placement of objects. I didn’t understand how significantly they contributed to the meaning of the piece.

I also think that your idea for a completely personal museum is fantastic. A museum that tells your story and showcases art similar to the examples you shared, would definitely be a place I would want to visit. Great work!

3. First of all, thank you so much for sharing your own photos. They are not only absolutely breathtaking, but they also gave me a peak into your own life and your artistic abilities. I also thought that the guided tour gave me a new perspective of abstract art that I hadn’t had before. I was able to appreciate a different type of style, and that has been a huge part of my experience in New York City so far. The Guggenheim and the tour guides did a wonderful job at combining the live’s of each of the artists with each work of art. The museum you described is a place I would genuinely love visit. Amazing work!

4. What you said about how your museum would be about moments that are deeply important to you really resonated with me. I’m a very nostalgic person and often have times where I blank out on what I’m doing in real life and just flip through special moments from the past in my brain. Your idea feels so amazing to me because I would love to have a place where I could have physical representations of my life that I could walk around and be surrounded by. I try to do this in my room by hanging up photos, posters, flyers, or little notes from poignant times in my life, but I wish it could be a real museum. Now I can’t get this idea out of my head!