Cafe Muller/Rites of Spring

Running from the station, I finally made it to BAM panting and frantically looking for the ticket to get in. As I descended the steep carpeted steps, I finally sat down and observed my surroundings. From top to bottom, I admired the carved walls and ceiling. The intricate flowers and cathedral like carvings in the columns and ceiling ornaments. Once the lights finally went out and we were surrounded by darkness, I immediately felt a heightening in my senses. I strained to see and listen to any indication of the beginning of the act.

Finally, Café Muller began and I was immediately intrigued. As the act progressed, I was overwhelmed by all the emotions and symbolisms that were overflowing. I especially felt the sense of desperation and disappointment throughout the dance. Each character was desperately looking to find something whether that was love, acceptance, or some sense of belonging. These characters were then left with disappointment whether it was being rejected or finding themselves lost yet again looking for their purpose. Overall, I was shocked to see how much pure emotion was evoked from me from this piece.

Even before the Rites of Spring began, I was already anticipating the pure sense of aggression from the process of setting the stage. Once the piece started, the music gave off the very sense of brutality and aggression I anticipated in the beginning. The moves, poses, and exhales from the dancers expressed the primal and almost barbaric tone of the piece. Like Café Muller, I felt a great sense of desperation. I also felt the lust and anxiety from the stage as the dancers were determining who was to be the one to be sacrificed. Overall this piece felt very primal yet involved a lot of symbolism involving lust and the sense of shame revolving around expressing your sexuality and being sexual.

Claire Ng

1 comment

1. lejlaredzematovic

Your interpretation of the second act being one based around sacrifice is very insightful. I realized the back and forth movement between the men and women and the intensity of the music, but sacrifice never crossed my mind. This interpretation has really opened my eyes and Im so glad I was able to think about it .