Hélio Oiticica : To Organize Delirium

Walking to the Whitney was a bit interesting, as I had passed it several times before but never to enter it. While I enjoy visits to the meatpacking district, I often wonder what a museum is doing there. This was my first time going to the Whitney so I had to ask for directions on how to get my ticket, where to leave my bag, and where the actual exhibit was.

Walking into the exhibit the first piece I saw was Bolides.I have seen this idea of hanging wood or other firm materials to create various shapes or images and I absolutely adore it. The 3D concept forces you to move around and observe the piece at a multitude of different angles, that a 2D piece simply cannot do. Another great thing about this is how a bunch of different people can all view this piece and everytime get a different perspective on it. I admire Oiticica’s idea of not having art on a pedestal, but rather as interactive. His use of objects and materials found in everyday life really brings forward the point that his art was “integrated into the world, not separated from it.”

Another concept that I appreciated of his went along with his piece of Brutalist Manhattan, subtitled semi magical found object. When we wrote the blogs on what we think the definition of art it, I said theorized that something is art based on the context surrounding it. Oiticica also had this perspective, that taking something not typically considered art, and adding or changing a small bit of it, brings a deeper meaning to the piece.

My absolute favorite part of the exhibition was Eden. Described as a “proposition for behavior” I think its aim is to befuddle the average art viewer. Usually, art is made to be seen, not touched. This was made to be explored and I think the interactiveness allowed me to enjoy the art more sincerely than I would have if I were to just gaze upon the sand and stone floor arrangement. This beach paradise Oiticica created invited me to explore each part. Walking through the sand was a beautiful experience. I walked through the sand, into these little tents that had various scents attached to them. I stood in the middle of the water and with the scents and the nearby sounds of the parrots it really felt as if I was at a beach in Brazil.

The title of the exhibit To Organize Delirium made me think. I could see the confusion it could cause because Oiticica’s work is not like other artists. He is bold and it shows in his work. I believe coming to NY was a great outlet for him, but it was very obvious that his muse was Brazil and Brazilian culture.

Overall the exhibit was a beautiful experience and I will definitely be going back again. I was filled with so much joy and this was an art exhibit that really touched me, which is what I believe art should do.

1. I also really enjoyed the interactive aspect of his work. It allowed the viewer to experience the freedom of emotion that Oiticica was trying to spread throughout Brazil. Being able to enjoy a piece of art to that extent was incredible, and nothing I’d ever experienced before. Great post!

2. I also really enjoyed the interactive aspect of his work. It allowed the viewer to experience the freedom of emotion that Oiticica was trying to spread throughout Brazil. Being able to enjoy a piece of art to that extent was incredible, and nothing I’d ever experienced before. Great post!