Studium, Punctum & Marcel Sternberger

Without incorporating Roland Barthe’s concepts of studium and punctum, Marcel Sternberger’s photographs are simply stunning. With a wide range of photo subjects and an incredible talent for capturing the hidden essences of said photo subjects, Sternberger blew me away with the timeline of his life captured through photographs. Beyond his impressive subjects of notability, his extensive range of portrait themes and his masterful use of the monochromatic scale, there are the concepts of studium and punctum to truly allow the viewer to appreciate Sternberger’s works.

Studium is considered to be a surface-level attraction to a certain entity, most particularly a photograph. It is the reason a set of prints may catch your eye in a museum, or the explanation behind an individual’s particular attraction towards said set of photos. According to Barthes, studium is “a taste for someone, a kind of general enthusiastic commitment… without specific acuity.” (Camera Lucida, 26) Studium is a general, purposefully unexplained feeling of affinity or appreciation. 

Alternatively, punctum is considered by Barthes to be the element that completely draws one into a particular piece of art, the “sinker” in a hook and line, or as he says, “…the accident that pricks me.” (Camera Lucida, 27) Punctum is the moment where we as the audience understand what it is about a particular piece of art that makes us truly appreciate it as a whole. It is considered a “closer look,” or even a moment of “artistic clarity.” It may take us quite a while to find the punctum, but truly- this is what allows for photography to become real and personal to us all. 

Sternberger’s work encompassed so many faces. The one that I pondered over for several minutes came in the form of a girl named “Judy.”

In Sternberger’s portrait of her, she is smiling mischievously at a point away from the camera. The initial studium for this piece came from the prominently childlike features of her attire and hairstyle in contrast to the look on her face. The sailor collar, the ballooned blouse sleeves, the pigtails tied with bows all portray her youthful innocence, but the look on her face seemed suited for a women perhaps twice her age. The punctum in this photograph came from being slightly puzzled at the particular expression on her face. It seemed almost wise in her deep-set eyes and tranquil smile and the shadows of her eyes seem to bring out the expression on Judy’s face fit for a woman twice her age. This is the “needle that pricked me” and this is the punctum that made me truly admire this photograph. Perhaps with and perhaps without deliberate intention, Sternberger was able to capture a very young girl with a soul much older than herself. Added to this, Judy’s gaze is trained to a point away from the camera, and in this moment where the expression on her face comes alive, we as the audience know that this is a genuine moment of perhaps either happiness or mischieviousness for Judy.

Keeping in mind the concepts of studium and punctum in a photography, I contemplated how I, too, may take a photograph that allows my audience and my viewers to experience the same sensations as I did in Sternberger’s works. I happened across this photograph in my archives, which was taken at the historical women’s march in New York City this past year. It is one of my favorite photographs because I believe it holds the biggest impact for both myself and my viewers.

In this photograph, a young girl is holding a sign clearly stating what is on her mind. Viewers may be drawn to this image (studium) because of the bright colors and the feature of a centered and in-focus subject. However, what I hope to be the “punctum” of this photograph is the expression on this young girl’s face. It is equal parts unhappy and hopeful- anxious and pondering. The hand-crafted message on her sign can only contribute to the expression on her face and the overall message of not just this one portrait, but of the day it was taken itself.

1. Huge fan of how you viewed the definition of studium and punctum. I also feel as though your personal photo helps to capture the true essence behind those terms. The bright colors catch the viewers initial attention, but the hopeful yet sorrowful face of the little girl help to keep the viewers thoughts engaged on what the little girl may be thinking. Overall, great use of an example for these terms.

2. I love your personal photo. Your interpretation is absolutely true for me. The colors and the focus of the photograph create the studium and the sweet girl’s expression creates depth and even a story. There you could find the punctum.