The Indian Reality

Each photograph is exceptionally unique in that a photo can’t be retaken. Although a person could try to recapture the moment it will be of no use. This is due to time, movement, texture, scenery and color. Furthermore, each photo contains a special feature which is how each veiwer of the photos feel after analyzing them. I want to focus on two main aspects which stood out to me in Raghubir Singh’s photographs, which were displayed in the MET, which are color and theme. His photos of postcolonial India can never be retaken as well as with the same genius effects which he decided to include in his photos. The photos that were taken, in a sense, capture his reality of India by choosing to take such photos instead of other photos which he was capable of.

The color which was displayed was unique for the time he took such photos because the color photos weren’t popular within the photography field at the time. Taking such photos show his passion towards India and makes a connection with him and the people who went through suffering in the past. He took a certain risk on his profession for the sake of his country which is seen through the many pictures taken. By taking the photos he is rejuvenating the culture of India especially now that it is held in such high esteem. As opposed to color, black and white photos essentially doesn’t allow people to experience reality in the photos as the color does. Since we are so accustomed to seeing with our own eyes such color, people have an easier time connecting with their familiarity of color which they see every second of the day. This allows Singh to depict the reality of India in a clearer light.

Although postcolonial India is seen as a time of sorrow, Singh displays it as otherwise. For example, the exhibit displays two major themes which are the joy and positive of India and the sorrow and harshness of India. He uses his photos to display that just as there is a contrast within the color of photos so too is there a contrast within India itself. Whether it was capturing women caught up and huddled together in the rain or colorful fruits which were shown laying on the road or even a group of men hanging out with ice-cold ices in their hands show the various ways Indias’ life and culture are displayed with color photographs. He, ultimately, mix the photos in such a way that it seems like the two opposite themes don’t clash which further allowed me to visualize the reality of the situation.

There is no doubt that Singh revolutionized the photography world for the better. Color allows more opportunity to enjoy and interpret the photos displayed and definitely allows viewers to better “experience” the photos to its utmost potential. Usually, a single photograph even if it’s colored shows a small glimpse of the reality, but, with many colored photographs displayed in such an exhibit the spectrum is broadened and viewers are able to choose which type of photographs they feel is closer to the reality.

1. Alon, I really enjoyed reading your blog. I agree with your idea that adding color depicted how passionate he was about showing the world about India’s culture and lifestyle. I also mentioned in my blog that he didn’t only show the ‘happy-side’ of post-colonization India, but he depicted hardships like women huddling together during a monsoon rain. Overall, I loved your analysis and depiction of the photographs.

2. karinakarazhbey

I really enjoyed how you zoomed in and focused on the idea of color and theme that was present in every photo. I liked how you focused on Singh’s method of using bright colors to take away from the idea that the country was in a state of poverty. Even though that may be the case, his bright colors made you think otherwise. Despite the countries state, people were able to find happiness in the smallest things, which I think Raghubir Singh was able to capture perfectly. Even though, these photos shared a “small glimpse of reality” like you stated, I think hope was very prevalent in all the pictures, which is what kept the citizens going through hardships.