The Educational Artpeice

These installment pieces are everywhere in NYC for a reason. Each one reflecting and symbolizing something for that specific area. This installment piece looks like their brothers or friends in some way. It is able to be seen from all angles showing outside viewers when they pass by as well as on a symbolic level to relate to everyone. This also “works” because everyone has a type of family or friend that they could relate to when they look at this.

This installment piece shows someone who covering himself with a hood. In this case, it is possible that since many installment pieces are of immigrants, this one is of a boy with a hope of a new dream. I relate to this as well as the public because the majority of NYC is immigrants which are seen in the diversity of the city. It is placed in NYC as a way to operate in such a diverse city as well as function as the city where dreams and a bright future is available to young kids.

This arch acts as a gateway to something new. Through walking in this arch its as if your entering to a new life. It kind of relates to the last installment piece of hope for a bright future. There is no coincidence that this leads to Washington Square Park. Washington was the one who OPENED the way to a bright future for the country. This is seen by all passersby showing its importance in a key location and a key piece within NYC.

From going around a part of NYC and looking at the public art, specifically the giant arch and 2 different banners, I was able to notice that these public arts only related to me and probably others in an eye-catching way rather than an interactive way. Although there are initiatives which are related to these arts, and therefore promote action, the public art which I have seen doesn’t necessarily require action in the moment. My curatorial assignment was on the interactiveness and engagement of education and creativity. The museum which I created to place my paintings it was actually very fun, engaging, and memorable. These adjectives are similar attributes which I would want my public art project would include. Without interactiveness, there is just a temporary effect on the person. I would create a maze in NYC which would challenge New Yorkers and even tourist on subjects such as art, creativity, music, and the “classic” school subjects as well. I would place it in a very busy area such as central park to allow a lot of traffic and popularity to the site. The walls of the maze would increase in color diversity depending on the stage of the maze where a group is. This shows that the further you get to the “finish line of creativity” the more “colorful” one’s personality is. The maze would interact with people in any language (using headphones). The interaction of many different languages in an enclosed area acts as an outlet to a potential microcosm of what NYC is today. NYC is a culturally diverse pool, but, as opposed to many people just passing and paying no attention to the diversity they would be “stuck” with one another and will have to communicate normally. This maze would advocate educational creativity as well as regular creativity as well as regular schooling through questions which a group would have to answer to get one step closer out of the maze. This would be especially engaging to New Yorkers because of the gritty and tough attitude which we’re known for. Also, this further allows tourists to see us in action and interact with us as well. The form of the maze would be unknown to create a certain sense of mystery. The shape and mysterious attributes of maze would be thought-provoking and engaging to those who are up for the challenge. The ability to engage someone in creativity and actually think about their passion and what they like in the world is the first step to change. It starts with the maze and goes to NYC and beyond!!!!!!

By: Alon Bezalel

1. I really liked your idea for your curatorial project. I think that a lot of times we only get to see art made by white men who have the money and means to create fancy art. I would be really interested in seeing your idea in a museum!

2. Hey Alon! Really enjoyed your blog post and it’s nice to see someone take the same route when it comes to analyzing the banners and the real art of Washington Square Park. Along with some of our other classmates, I also passed by the banners you present in your blog and I remember thinking how adorable the two boys were and how mysterious the little kid looked. It’s interesting to see what they’re both actually about and really unveil the mystery behind their stories. Also really enjoyed the idea you had for present your curatorial assignment on the interactiveness and engagement of education and creativity. Great blog!