Good Fences; Good Neighbors.

I have to say, Weiwei’s project is one of the most mystifying and complex works of public art I’ve personally encountered in the city. The overall structure of Weiwei’s project seems scattered and disorganized; with over 50 of his creations spread across New York City in the forms of banners, bus shelters and fences.

After reading about Weiwei’s vision and his project mission, I still felt a bit confused by his physical choices in creating his message, so I decided that I could only really understand by paying a visit to a select few.

Banner 64; 5th Avenue & 53rd Street

First up was Banner #64, the closest of Weiwei’s works to my job. I have to admit that it took me a good ten minutes of walking up and down 53rd street to find this particular banner, but when I finally found it, I was stunned that I had not spotted it sooner. This banner is so much unlike the banners we are used to seeing around the city- this banner is simply a shot of a woman’s strained, emotional face. I berated myself for not spotting it sooner but immediately realized that I had finally been able to understand at least one of Weiwei’s objectives- to steer us as oblivious, fast-paced New Yorkers to slow down and pay attention to what is around us. This woman represents just one person in the global refugee migrant crisis, but yet, she is there- looming above us. Dozens other banners around the city silently announce the presence of these people in need; as much a part of us as the stranger walking down 5th Avenue right next to us.

Five Fences; The Cooper Union.

The Five Fences were the first of Weiwei’s fences that I encountered. I stood outside of Cooper Union for several minutes, contemplating why Weiwei would build five “fences” around the second floor of a college. And then I realized that I could see students moving about beyond the fence, behind the windowpanes. I realized that the presence of these thin fences drew my attention towards recognizing the life moving beyond said fences. In essence, they are fences, but I realized that they truly are not more than just another thin layer that can be seen through beyond the glass.

Circle Fence; Flushing Meadows Corona Park

I was so excited when I saw that the Unisphere was on Weiwei’s interactive map. Anyone who has ever spoken to me knows how much I love my borough and how much pride I have in the “Queens Spirit.” I think that being a Queens kid means being proud of the diversity we display, the authenticity we exude and the “good neighbor” each one of us is with each other. I run in this park every week, and when I went on my daily night run, I ran by the globe and stopped to pay attention to WeiWei’s “fence” here. His fence was more of a “net barrier” of sorts, low and not the kind of “fence” you would imagine around something as iconic as the Unisphere. I stopped to think about Weiwei’s touch here and what it meant to me to have the “Queens Pride.” One of the objectives of Weiwei’s project was to “reflect on the profound social and political impulse to divide people from each other.” These fences are not meant to be intrusive reminders of hostility. but rather, they serve as a reminder of how profound the impact of humanity is on a city like New York. Miles away from the first banner I saw in Manhattan, here I was in Queens, staring at another one of Weiwei’s “fences.” They aren’t pictured here, but when I first reached the globe, there were two teenage boys perched on top of the Globe itself and it seemed as though both had also brought their bikes past the fence as well. Seeing this made me reflect back to reading that  “Visitors to the exhibition will discover that Ai’s “good fences” are not impenetrable barriers but powerful, immersive, and resonant additions to the fabric of the city.” I witnessed first-hand the power and immersion that emanates from Weiwei’s art.

“Subway Therapy” by Matthew Chavez // photo credits to the Washington Post

One of the best things I’ve ever seen in this city is the “Subway Therapy” wall that occurred immediately after the election of 2016, in which Donald Trump was elected as president and the Republican party took control of the House. Aside from the politics, I loved the heart and feeling behind Chavez’s idea. It brought New Yorkers together in a way that didn’t involve fights and dirty words; fists or murderous weapons. It allowed for all of us to express our human selves in the most harmless and yet thoughtful way- on a Post-It note. We see just how expansive our city is; how much heart and character we collectively have when we come together to put up a “therapy” wall. No matter how different every single one of us are, at the end of the day we are human beings and New Yorkers first.

My curatorial project was formed around this idea: that at the end of the day, we are a city of character and strength and heart. If I was to curate a public art project around the city, I would imitate Chavez’s idea, but I would post signs at various locations around New York City with the question,

What do you love about this place?

There would be Post-It notes and pens available on a board next to this question, all around New York City and the only goal I would have with this project is to have New Yorkers stop and reflect on why they love this city. I can picture a sign with this question placed around landmarks and hidden corners such as Union Square Park, the piers at Long Island City, the Whispering Gallery at Grand Central Station, the wall of the 74th Street- Jackson Heights subway station. I would post boards with these questions in every spot around the city that I love- as an invitation to other New Yorkers to stop and reflect on exactly what they love about this city.

The curatorial project served as my “passive-aggressive” love letter to New York City, but it truly made me realize how lucky I was to call this place my home and I hope to do the same to those just as profoundly frustrated and deeply in love with New York City as I am.

-Jayne Chen

1. Jayne, I really love the addition of your post-it notes to your photographs. It seemed as if you took the idea from “Subway Therapy” and transformed this idea to work with your art journey. In addition, you mentioned how you would incorporate a similar idea but with a different question, “What do you love about this place?” So many of us feel connected to this amazing city. It would be pretty interesting to hear/see how each personally relates to this public space. I look forward to seeing your art form displayed around New York City!

2. Jayne, I wholeheartedly agree with your idea that “Weiwei’s project is one of the most mystifying and complex works of public art” that you’ve ever encountered throughout the city. “Good Fences Make Good Neighbors,” is evidently unique. Unlike the graffiti, subway ads, and posters we see everyday, Weiwei’s art carries a very strong emotional presence. It demands attention.

I also think your public art project idea is genius. While using Post-Its wouldn’t be an original idea, you would be taking it and transforming it into your own. Asking people what they love about “this place,” will provoke thought and evoke discussion – which is exactly what public art should do.

Great work!