Public Art in New York City

“Good Fences Make Good Neighbors.”

Before being assigned this blog, I had always seen these ads on the subway and ignored them. I had always glimpsed at the title and easily dismissed them. That was a big mistake on my part. After visiting three of his public art installations this week, I can honestly say that Ai Weiwei is one of those few artists who can truly evoke emotion in his viewers. At least to me anyway. Born in 1957 Beijing, he struggled with many hardships throughout his life – exile with his family as a child, life as an immigrant art student in New York City, and ruthless repression as an artist and activist in China. These influences are clearly evident in his work.

The first piece I visited was entitled “The Gilded Cage.” Located at 60th Street and 5th Ave, the entrance to Central Park, it is quite an overwhelming structure. As the name suggests, it is a very large, golden cage. Upon first glance, I was immediately entranced by it. It reminded me of Maya Angelou’s “Why the Caged Bird Sings,” and brought me back to my childhood when I had first heard that poem. It also made me think about the article I had read before visiting – the one attached to the course site about Ai Weiwei’s background. It made me think about how well he conveyed the feeling of being trapped. A feeling that he’s experienced his whole life.

The second piece I visited was the “Circle Fence.” I chose to go there because it was located in front of the iconic Unisphere in Flushing Meadows Park, Queens, a place I frequently rode my bike past. At first, I have to say I was a little baffled by this installation. I wasn’t entirely sure what was going and the meaning wasn’t obvious to me at first sight. It was simply underwhelming. However, after staring at it for a few minutes, I realized that it was meant to represent the border. Not the physical border between the U.S. and Mexico or the one between the U.S. and Canada, but rather the invisible borders that we all face throughout our lives.

Lastly, I went to the “Arch,” at Washington Square.  That was my favorite installation. Like “The Gilded Cage,” it also features a very large, metal cage. It only differs in the fact that there is a passageway through the center – a passageway in the shape of two people. To me, that represents the story of many immigrants who’ve landed in America. They’ve in a way broken out of the cages that were their homelands. Similarly, to the way Weiwei did.

If I were to create my own public art project that engaged the NYC community, it would be centered on the many types of love that exist in society. It would feature installations about heterosexual couples, homosexual couples, interracial couples, etc. Each one would be a large banner, standing proudly in a public area. Some would be in black and white, and others in color. I’m thinking one of each in each individual community.

There would be ten locations – two in each borough. In Manhattan, one would be in Madison Square Park and the other just inside the Central Park gates. In Queens, there would be one in Forest Hills, right across Sunrise Chevrolet in the park where groups of elderly people always commune. The other would be hanging down from the ceiling in the middle of Queens Center Mall. In Brooklyn, there would be one right in front of Brooklyn College and another at the entrance to the Williamsburg Bridge. In the Bronx, there would be one draped down the side of Yankee Stadium and another in the butterfly garden at the Bronx Zoo. In Staten Island, there would be one outside of the National Lighthouse Museum and another at the ferry docks.

The pieces would be large and demand attention. One wouldn’t be able to walk past any of these locations and not notice them. They would raise awareness on the issues and discrimination that people still exist today. They would evoke emotion and force some kind of response. The idea isn’t to get everybody on my side, but to make communities aware of what really goes in our society. To encourage people to let love exist, regardless of the form that it is in.

-Alyssa Motilal

1. Alyssa, I loved reading your blog post. I also visited the Cage as part of my journey. I found it interesting how the Cage reminded you of your childhood, of a specific poem. I immediately googles this poem in order to understand the emotion behind your association. The themes of the poem seemed similar to Weiwei’s feelings on entrapment and lack of freedom. I find it fascinating how you were able to connect on some level to Weiwei’s intention without having gone through the same experience yourself. This showed me how incredible it is that many of us can relate to the same experience yet on a personal level.

Great job!

2. Alyssa, Lovely blog! I, too, remember seeing those ads across the subway for ages and now it all ties together I guess. I love the self exhibit you would have, I believe it’s absolutely well thought out and creative. My favorite part of the idea is the diversity you have, two in each borough with 10 locations. Sounds like a lot but it offers a range of creativity throughout and a chance for everyone to get a glimpse of your ideas. Great blog!