Reading Response #1

Out of the assigned readings, the article that most stood out to me was the one titled Global Neighborhoods: New Pathways to Diversity and Seperation. Last year in high school I based my Macaulay Honors college essay on reasons for Hispanics and Blacks having the lowest college graduation rate of all ethnic groups. Some possible causes of these daunting statistics were income, conformity and stereotypes. One of the points that I found interesting while reading this article, was where the author stated that evidence suggests that Hispanic share predicts Black entry into white tracts, but that White exodus increases with the share of Hispanics, Blacks and Asians. Based on the research I did for my college essay, I wonder if economic status or similarities in their experiences with society are some of the reasons while Blacks feel more comfortable moving into White neighborhoods if Hispanics are present. In addition to this, another thought that I had while reading the article was that it did not do a good job of explaining the reasons as to why Whites are more likely to leave areas that primarily inhabited by minorities. Why is it that people of different cultures such as Asians, Blacks and Hispanics are more likely stay in one neighborhood together, but on the hand Whites are less likely to remain in that neighborhood? What is it about the arrival of Hispanics and Asians that has kept Blacks from depopulating certain cities? Furthermore, although, according to the article, there is still some white-black segregation, it was fascinating to read about how diverse a lot of cities have still managed to become. Having been born and raised in Queens, I have always noticed its unique diversity in comparison to other cities. It was interesting to read about how this trend of diversity is spreading to other places as well. However, it was upsetting to find out that researchers have not yet discovered a clear process to bring Whites back into minority-filled neighborhoods. This indicates to me, that there will never be a way to increase the diversity of White, Blacks, Asians, and Hispanics in EVERY city. This, I believe prevents those city residents from having the opportunity of interacting with people of different cultures, in the way that I have been able to during all my years that I have lived in New York.