Recreating Memories with Photography

Ben Nunery recreates wedding photos with his daughter two years after the death of his wife.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/two-years-after-losing-his-wife-to-cancer-a-man-recreated-hi

This set of photos reminded me a lot of one of the museum presentations we had in class where the exhibits showed how photography allowed people to visually compare the past and the present. All the memories and events on the past are captured in the old photos, while the newly created ones are right beside it.

2 thoughts on “Recreating Memories with Photography

1. That’s a really touching set of pictures. It’s also similar to the artist who traveled the United States and took pictures of people and would come back to location on a later date and take photos again to see the changes that have occurred since the previous photos. Sometimes it good to see change and look at the more optimistic aspects of it and I feel like that is what is done in these pictures with Olivia in the picture instead.

2. I saw that, too! I thought that it was so beautiful. I was really touched by the story behind the photos. The article really exemplifies why I like photography so much. Photography certainly isn’t an easy job. It’s very time consuming, and the equipment is veryyyyyy expensive. I would know because I do photography as a hobby. The price of SLR lenses range from $200 to over $1000. In fact, lenses cost more than the body, which a lot of people do not know. A camera body is usually around $200. But the body and lens aren’t the only costly parts of photography. Other accessories such as lens filters (UV, polarized, warm, etc), external flash, camera case, and many more.

So going back to the article, I really am quite moved when I looked through the photos. It just goes to show that photography is more than art form; it is a way for memories to be captured and remembered.