Infinity Mirrored Room

I’m sure a lot of you have already heard about the Infinity Mirrored Room. If not, click the link below for more info.

Yayoi Kusama’s Infinity Mirrored Room

I actually went ahead to experience it myself not only once but twice! Yes, you guys probably think I’m crazy but heyyyyy, it’s once in a lifetime. 😀 Both days, I waited a little over 3 hours. The first day was terrible because it was freezing outside. I really thought I was gonna lose my toes. Yeah, waiting in the cold made the wait unbearable and the experience less exciting. Once we finally got inside the David Zwirner Gallery, we had to wait another 10 minutes to get inside the actual room. The room can hold up to 3 people, and each group had only 45 seconds in the room. That means a malfunction with your camera is unacceptable! Everyone had to be ready to take selfies once that door shuts.

The second time I went, I definitely was able to appreciate the room more. And the weather was great, so that was an A+. It was actually the last day of the exhibit so a lot more people were there. The line wrapped around two blocks by 9AM. Good thing I got there at 7:30. Phew. They eventually had to cut people off because they simply couldn’t accomodate everyone. At first I felt bad, but in the end I was like, “SORRY NOT SORRY! Should’ve been here earlier!”

I’m sure not a lot of people knew who Yayoi Kusama was before her exhibit. I was one of them but I made sure to know her better. This article definitely helped me understand her art a lot more. Most people who visit her infinity rooms probably do not know that she suffers from mental illness and has gained fame while being institutionalized. Her artwork is based on the hallucinations she sees on a daily basis, especially when she was a child. Her story definitely is the epitome of the phrase, “A picture is worth a thousand words,” or in her case, an exhibit.

Here is a picture of myself inside the Infinity Mirrored Room:

photo

“By obliterating one’s individual self, one returns to the infinite universe.” –Yayoi Kusama

One thought on “Infinity Mirrored Room