Last Week – playing catch-up

Nothing especially big happened last week, but Wednesday was fun, so let’s talk about that.

For my Theatre class, we went to get a tour of Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. COOLEST. THING. EVER.

No really.

It’s as accurate a reconstruction of the original Globe Theatre as possible. The whole thing was spearheaded by an American actor who was shocked and dismayed that there wasn’t already such a theater in existence when he visited London. So he raised money, and his daughter raised money when he died, and the theater is built basically on the same spot. There are a few differences – like sprinklers, should the wooden thing catch on fire. But it has a thatch roof! THATCH! Like I said, coolest thing ever.

(And for all you Doctor Who fans, yes, I do beleive it was the set for the Shakespeare episode. Which meant that I spent a good bit of our tour picturing the filming, which was probably REALLY COOL. But the Queen never went to Theatre. Theatre came to the Queen.)

We’re not seeing a play there in class, but I’m going to try to get cheap standing tickets when I have a chance. They are staging Macbeth soon. If anyone from my high school is reading this, do you remember Macbeth? I played Lady Macbeth in Talia’s film, I recall. I would absolutely love to see it staged.

Anyway, afterward Dasi and I wandered back to the tube line. She was going to North London to visit a friend, so I called up Shoshy, totally forgetting that she doesn’t live with the Golders Green/Hendon crowd. She invited me over (it was reading week for UCL and a few other universities) and fed me dinner, because she is amazing. We chatted for a while, and then she discovered that I had never see the Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice (sorry, Michal!) so she pulled it out of her enormously impressive DVD collection and we watched it right then.

Then I went to see Miriam and meet her fiance! Which was great, as Miriam was the first friend I saw the last two times I was in London, so the trip wasn’t really complete until I saw her. 😀

Then, for the second time, I caught the last train back to my stop. Shoshy drove me to the station with about eight minutes to spare, and I dithered on the platform for a bit. Better early than late, because I have no clue how the night buses work here yet. Silly train system, shutting down at night.

2 Responses to Last Week – playing catch-up

1. Aaron says:

You should see the Globe’s Macbeth. It was amazing.