Love Films, London

I mentioned at some point on this blog that I am a media studies major. For those that don’t really get it – and I don’t blame you, it’s not a well-known major – I like to compare it to an English/Literature major. Like a lit. student, who studies the history, creation and analysis of literature, I study the history, creation and analysis of every other medium, at least in theory. In reality, at Queens College, I mostly study film and television, with a bit of political news coverage and some radio if I choose.

Books, and comic books, which are both mediums I am equally passionate about, are not considered part of the major.

Anyway, In the United Kingdom, I am taking a British Film course. Every single film we have watched so far is a film I have neither seen nor heard of, and my notes are filled with underlined titles of movies and scribbled notes in the margins of recommendations from my professors. There are entire genres of films here – like films on the Troubles – that simply don’t exist elsewhere.

Dasi and I tried to test out LOVEFiLM, the British version of Netflix, a while ago, and accidentally bought a month. In about 20 minutes, I compiled a list of films to watch, a few from my class, but most from searching the BFI top 100, and looking into some Welsh films.

Last Week I watched Fish Tank, a British art film about a girl living on a council estate (or public housing, for the Americans). I’m not sure why the film was considered an Art Film, unless it was the low budget. It felt very much like a slice-of-life film, although I see why it wouldn’t have made a big impact in America. I can’t imagine the MPAA approving of a 15-year-old sleeping with her mother’s boyfriend. Who happens to be married to someone else. Let’s just say that it is not a happy film, although the ending is hopeful.

I just finished watching The Red Shoes, which is considered a classic film internationally. And I can see why. Interestingly enough, the first time I heard of it was not in a film context, but rather in a ballet manga from 1960s Japan. The film is referenced as a classic ballet film, and it was only later that I learned it was valued for its cinematic elements as well. And it deserves it. Very classic pacing and plot (it was released in 1948) the directors chose to go with dancers who can act, rather than actors who could dance, and it is lovely to watch, even though dancing doesn’t take up the whole film. The way the H.C. Anderson story was woven into the plot is just spectacular. Definitely a recommended film, although I have no idea if anyone reading this would actually enjoy it. (It’s not Doctor Who, how about that?)

I haven’t seen Black Swan, although I suppose comparison is inevitable. I’ll report back once I have.

I have to admit that living in London as I am, the opening scenes in Covent Garden were especially fun. Notice that in Britain, you have to buy programmes to shows – no free playbills here. When the usher offered them during the opening ballet, I laughed out loud.