The DOE detailed a lot of reform policies that it would enact within the next year or so. The crux of these policy changes is for the purpose of increasing diversity in New York City Public Schools. DOE acknowledges that our current system for public schools’ fosters segregation and inequality. Most surprising was the vast difference in the percentage of black and Hispanic students represented in Specialized High Schools while they make up 70% of the city’s eighth-grade population. However, by setting priorities, collaborating, acting, and informing families the DOE hopes to create socioeconomic diversity among incoming classes within the schools that are participating in this Diversity in Admissions pilot.

As I was reading through the document there were several sections that I did not understand or simply did not seem like the most advantageous method of reform. One of these new programs the DOE plans on initiating is the Educational Option. The reason why I question this proposal is because it does not detail exactly what they mean by “admitting students from a wide range of academic levels.” At what cut off will they establish and additionally, will they adjust for varied academic rigor between students and schools.

Another strategy that focuses on increasing the access to screen schools for high-needs students is implementing online applications for middle and high school admissions. In the hopes of decreasing the aggravation of navigating through the current paper process of applying to schools, the DOE plans on implements a new online application. However, my question for this is will they also make accommodations for those who do not have access to a computer? I think if they implement this change they should have schools provide certain time slots with access to the computers offered at the school.

As for “streamline the formal mechanisms for families to learn about school options and apply,” I question the plausibility of actually enacting these changes. While fall open houses and tours twice a week every week from mid-September to application deadlines sounds fantastic, is it unrealistic? From my own experience tours are often lead by either the students or with students plus a faculty member. However, how will the budget compensate for these extended services and will they actually use students to give tours and, if so, will they even have enough students to accomplish this? Additionally, the idea of “requiring [sic] an interview or additional assessment” seems unreasonable. I don’t fully understand the procedure for this, but it does not seem like an objective form of determining admittance. Though, I will say that I really think the idea of implementing a virtual tour of public schools to be a very promising addition. I think that it is very reasonable, affordable, and provides a simplistic alternative.

Certain initiatives that I really standby were those working to include Arts, STEM and/or career/technical programs. Though, I am concerned about their program for increasing AP participation within 24 high schools among students of color and low-income students. I think that this should be greatly encouraged, but they should also provide additional support systems to help students adjust to these said courses. I think my most pressing hesitation in understanding these programs, initiatives, and policy changes is how they will be funded and will they be upheld? Changes like these are not successful if they are not consistent and constant across all the participating schools. The DOE should definitely release updates about the Equity and Excellence for All agenda.

As the aunt of a child attending a New York City public school, I can see first-hand how programs such as Dual Language programs benefit students. My own niece, attending P.S. 173, is enrolled in this program which allows her to learn Chinese and English simultaneously. After visiting the class, it was a breath of fresh air realizing that it was not just fellow Asian students in this program with her, but I could count three African American children, two Hispanic children, and five white children. This may not seem like the most diverse classroom, however, it was very different compared to other classes she takes. I think that many of the changes the DOE plans on implementing through this Equity and Excellence Program will ultimately be very advantageous in creating a more diverse school system both racially and economically. However, I question if these changes will be done correctly and fairly so that each school participating will mostly benefit and the students remain unscathed by these changes.