EnviroNYC

Exploring Environment and Sustainability in NYC

Looking Back

November3

What have I learned in class so far? I have learned that environmental sustainability means more than just having enough resources for today, but that it also entails being considerate of the needs of future generations. I have been introduced to notions I would have never been able to fathom myself. For example—I had always believed that cities to be central hubs for cultural and social mixing, since they are so densely populated and seemingly close-knit.  It would have never occurred to me that cities could stifle interaction between varying peoples, as argued by Rogers.

Recalling our brief Central Park escapade, I remember the new perspective I acquired from suddenly becoming aware of the impact mankind has had on nature. In my mind it was if someone had taken a highlighter and used it to accentuate the many aspects of the park I had never taken notice to before: the way the trees were strategically positioned to produce shade, and how some of their trunks showed signs of branches having being severed; the nest situated behind a metal traffic sign, and the “wild” animals that had become so accustomed to humans that they dared to inch closer instead of scamper away. It made me question whether or not Central Park could really be considered a piece of “nature,” seeing as it is so manmade.

And then there was our excursion to Black Rock Forest, where I witnessed the strength of the wilderness and the wonder of a much less disturbed nature. I will never forget the sight of that manmade metal sign being swallowed by the trunk of the tree it was nailed to. Without the aid of paved steps and pathways, I felt quite defeated by nature’s might at the end of the day, having been taken out of my technologically fueled urban element.

Speaking of trips, the one to the Center for Architecture was also an eye-opener. The building’s modern and energy-efficient heating and cooling system was fascinating, and it was interesting to find that despite the immense initial cost to install it, the system paid itself back within just three years. That reminds me of the human-waste-turned-fertilizer process in Black Rock—the notion was a tad too unconventional for my taste, however still exceptionally intriguing. Both instances are just two examples of the many ways individuals can implement to reduce mankind’s carbon footprint. It goes to show that with a bit more consideration, conscientiousness, and willingness to invest, alternative, eco-friendly methods can really make a difference if society cares to apply them.

PlaNYC was news to me, despite its already three-year old existence. Prior to taking this course, I was completely unaware of the City’s efforts to reduce its carbon emissions, increase housing, improve energy consumption levels, and so forth. I knew our population was growing, but I didn’t expect it would soar that much over a short 25-year span. More importantly I had been clueless as to how poor a state New York City is in now. With a swelling population, a crumbling infrastructure, and such high levels of energy consumption, it was great gaining insight on the issues the City currently faces and how it is attempting to combat them. I look forward to researching the hypothetical ways wind and solar energy may help transform New York into a more energy-efficient city, and hope that someday some of the cool structures displayed in the diagrams at the Center for Architecture will come to life (i.e. parks integrated with transportation hubs and gardens on roofs).

My ideas about science and technology have definitely shifted to some extent; I was definitely in the dark prior to taking this course with regards to the immense progress that has been made in both fields, and the incredible effect their mergence has had on modern society. I knew that the two subjects were related, however I had not known how deeply intertwined they are in actuality. In the modern world, it is difficult to separate technology from science; even supposed “natural” areas such as Central Park have been impacted by humans’ technological touch in one way or another. In this age, many people have grown  increasingly dependent on technology to maneuver through their everyday lives; it is not uncommon for a person to say that they “need” their cell phone, or air-conditioning, or public transportation in order to survive. Therefore many scientific aspects of human lives (biological, environmental, and psychological) have become governed by technology, and in a way people now use digital devices as crutches in order to sustain themselves in an otherwise natural world.  It is no doubt that science and technology walk hand-in-hand.

The thought is somewhat frightening; the more we allow technology to govern our societies, well–let’s just say the fantastical notion of robots taking over the planet one day come to mind. But granted that phenomenon doesn’t happen in my lifetime, the deepening relationship between technology and science is extremely thrilling as it continues to generate a fascinating array of possibilities and a more promising future for mankind’s sustainability.

One Comment to

“Looking Back”

1. November 9th, 2010 at 6:24 pm      Reply lorna Says:

Great. I’m glad that this class has taught you to observe the world a little differently. Do you think your ideas about science and technology have shifted at all?

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: