Custos Cavum at the Asia Society

U-Ram Choe created this moving sculpture of aluminum shaped like an alligator, but actually a “Custos Cavum.” Now this piece unnerved me when I first saw it. It has little motors that created many hissing sounds as it moved the spores on the beast’s back, and when I walked into the display room, I heard these hissing noises. I seriously thought I was being gassed (the air was hot too, like poisonous, but probably from the engine-heat). So, I ran out. Of course, once I realized I wasn’t dead, I went back in.

No one was in the room with me, except the security guard, who stood awkwardly looking into some corner. I looked at the “Custos Cavum,” then at the security guard (who didn’t notice me), then at the door. I had no idea what this piece was about. It was as big metal carcass with fern-like things twirling in the air, and I didn’t like it. On my way out (again), I caught a glimpse at the sign posted on the wall. It told this story:

“Once upon a time, there were two worlds. They were connected to each other through a number of small holes, as if the worlds were breathing through these holes. However, the holes had a tendency to close up, so there were guardians next to each one to keep them open. The guardians were called “Custos Cavum.” They took the form of seals and had large front teeth, which they used to gnaw the holes to prevent them from closing up. Whenever a Custos Cavum felt the generation of a new hole somewhere, it fell into a deep sleep. From the body of the quietly sleeping Custos Cavum grew winged spores called “Unicuses.” These spores took flight and each flew to a new hole, where it gave rise to a new Custos Cavum.”

This is one of the strangest works of art I’ve seen this semester, aesthetically and in terms of genre. It’s a sculpture, but it’s incomplete without the story. I think it’s a sculptural narrative.

It was isolated in its own room in the Asian Society – kind of like how the Earth Room was separated from everything. I experienced the same quaint Earth-Room-feel with the Custos Cavum. I was alone with it. I was actually a little down from being alone all day, and I believed in the world it described for a little while. I knew the story, and right before my eyes was a tangible example of the thing that existed. I didn’t need to imagine it. The artist showed it to me. And then suddenly, I felt like I was in that hole the fable spoke about. I remembered how the Custos Cavum fell asleep only when a new hole opened somewhere else. And I wondered if it was awake before I had stepped in the room. And whether I was the new hole that opened up, whether or not it just fell asleep.

It broke the fourth wall for me. And it made me search myself a little bit. Because if it did just fall asleep when I walked in. Then I would be the hole to another world.

I talked to the security guard as I walked out the display room. I asked him if he could bear standing in there all day, because it got creepy in there after a little while. He said he left when there were no visitors.

Artist: U-Ram Choe
Title: Custos Cavum
Materials/Medium: Aluminum, steel, resin, CPUs, and motors
Duration: 9/9/2011 – 12/31/2011
Genre: Installation
Venue: The Asia Society Museum

This entry was posted in My Collection. Bookmark the permalink.