Ben Fernandez Reading Journal Week 4

This weeks chapters, though extensive we’re also quite intriguing. They opened my eyes to some of the great history in this section of the city that I’ve been blindly living in for the past couple of months. Earlier in the book, the importance of social institutions was touched upon when talking about the construction of the Panama Canal, but chapter 4 really went in depth to elaborate upon this idea. Immigrating to a new country was not easy by any means for most Caribbean immigrants, especially considering all the resentment they received from native African Americans. However, there were a few places where the two groups got along seamlessly. One such social institution of particular importance was church. It makes sense that a strong unifying theme like religion can bring together such a broad group of people that may be of the same race, but have entirely different cultures. In fact, religion even helped a lot of the newly immigrated Caribbeans adjust to a new life in the states. I know from personal experience that Church can be a huge connection for many families. We would associate with people from all kinds of backgrounds, sometimes establishing permanent ties, and even going out afterwards to breakfast or some other event.Its just reassuring to think that admist all the antagonism between native and immigrant blacks, there were some areas where they could come together and socialize under a common theme.

Though I’ve learned a small bit about Marcus Garvey from history classes, it was really interesting to learn a great deal more about him and some of his ideals in chapter 7. He strongly advocated for a unified African movement. By many, he was seen as crazy, but to others, Garvey was seen as a powerful idealist with a plan for total African equality. However, I do believe that there is a fine line that must be drawn and this line was crossed just a few too many times by Garvey. I had never heard, nor would I have ever imagined, a man who advocated so strongly for African equality such as Marcus Garvey to cooperate with the Ku Klux Klan. In fact, some of what professor Lutton had told us in class actually startled me a good bit. I understand that Garvey had similar goals to the KKK,  but to identify with them is just not a very good look. The KlKK is known for violence and hatred towards Garvey himself, amongst other Africans, so surely there were other groups whom he could have chosen to collaborate with. Nonetheless, Garvey’s plan ultimately failed with his deportation back to Jamaica. In the end, he had a nice idea with a strong following, but I don’t think it ever could have actually become more than just that; an idea. As someone mentioned in class, there were just too many African Americans who were multiple generations old and felt stronger ties toward America, despite its many shortcomings, than they did towards Africa.

The only other chapter I really want to talk about is chapter 9. This was by far my favorite chapter. It is unfortunate that there was so much corruption associated with gambling due to its outlaw, because it seemed for the most part to have a very positive effect on the community. Especially in the case of Casper Holstein. Holstein was an avid contributor to philanthropy everywhere, from motivating young blacks to develop their abilities as writers to paying for college students’ expenses to sharing some of the joy with the hungry around the Holiday season. This system benefited not only all those involved in the “bank” but also the community, including a lucky middle class worker with high aspirations for the future who would occasionally win. One line that particularly struck out to me though  was “It is ironical but true that Negroes build things only to have them taken away and exploited by the white man.” This seemed very much the case with the numbers game that so powerfully influenced economics in Harlem. Perhaps if the game wasn’t outlawed, there could have been more protection placed upon the banks from mobsters to foster the business. Still, it was nice to read about some of the bankers who would stand up against the abuse of gangs such as did St. Clair. Her confidence and courage encouraged her business to grow and help all those involved without fear, Obviously the business helped mostly the wealthy bankers, but I feel that the overall positive effect it had on the community as a whole outweighed the negatives. Harlem has had quite a unique history that I had never previously known about but will now begin to recognize as I walk along its streets. The land I walk on now was and still is to an extent the cultural center for various different immigrant groups amongst which are the Caribbeans who played an integral part in forging Harlem’s history.