Week 5 Reading Journal

The history of the “Caribbean Nexus” just goes to show that there are so many things in history that affect other events in many areas around the world. Harlem, being thousands of miles away, was essential for Caribbean self-determination. Harlem did not only influence intellectuals in islands like Jamaica, they also sent funds for political campaigns. Only by looking deep into history can connections like these be made. This desire to improve the conditions in their homeland was used by the U.S. to improve relations with the Caribbean, especially during the Second World War. This war also affected the Caribbean community back in New York City.

The book Brown Girl, Brownstones by Paule Marshall gives a unique insight to the life of a girl growing up in Brooklyn during the Great Depression. This book, while having many interesting storylines, tells much about the Caribbean people that settled in Brooklyn neighborhoods that used to be occupied by European immigrants. Buying their homes seems to be the most important thing that they could do to ensure a future in America. Getting a job that was not domestic work was also another major step forward. Living during the Great Depression was also adding to the struggles of this community.

Selina Boyce is a girl that is looking to identify herself, and the differing views of her parents make it harder to find an answer. Being lucky enough to have land back in Barbados, although its a small piece, shows the two different views that the Barbadian immigrants had about a better future. Silla Boyce, Selina’s mother, spent all her life working hard and sought opportunities for a future in America. She wanted to sell that land and use that money to buy the house and put down roots in America. Deighton Boyce, Selina’s father, saw the land as an opportunity to go back to Barbados and live a pleasant, luxurious life there. They each have these different views on what to do with the land because they both had differing views on their homeland. Silla saw it as a place where, even at Selina’s age, she worked day and night with no sight of any progress. Deighton remembers it as a place where he enjoyed his youth. Selina is leaning towards going to Barbados; her father made it look like the dreamland, and she has never been there before. I can relate to that dream, when I was 12, I would have liked to move to Ecuador. My first visit to Ecuador was one full of fun experiences. However, as I grew older, and had more visits to Ecuador, I understood that it was not an easy place to live in, especially in the agricultural area where my family was from. Her father also seems to be a man that just dreams, and the Second World War may change Selina’s choice on which parent’s dream to partake in.