Week 10 – Danticat

Danticat’s The Dew Breaker is written in a unique style that ties in multiple stories together. I really enjoy her style of writing, since each story seems to be completely disconnected and can act as its own story, but is really part of a greater story. At first, I was confused at what was happening. I thought that the entire book was a collection of stories until I read the end of the book of miracles and the night talkers. When I realize this I also realized all the hints that each story was dropping to tie the entire story together, of “the dew breaker’s” or the torturer’ past and present. It follows this man’s dark past and his regret and how he changed from the person he once was. However, there are still some mysteries that have yet to be uncovered from what we’ve read so far. The story Seven and Water child introduces a story that doesn’t quite fit into the story, at least not yet. Danticat uses multiple stories told by different people at different times and places to give us readers a perspective on this torturer’s past and his current regret. Although there are still so many things that we don’t know that will be uncovered later on in the second half of the book, I still have so many questions that are left unanswered. Who is Eric in water child? Why did Nadine have to abort the child? Is Eric the father of Ka? Then who is Anne? It seems like she is the mother of Ka and husband to this “torturer” that the story is a based upon. But if that is so, then what is her relation to Nadine? How about the people in Seven? If Dany in Seven is the same Dany in The Night Talker, what role or connection does he have with the couple in Seven? Also, what significance does Dany’s aunt’s sudden death plays in the role of the story? Does he death strengthen his resolve to avenge his family? I have all these questions floating around right now and it’s frustrating that I don’t have an answer for that yet.

At first, what seemed like a simple story is now just a part of a bigger more complex story. It seems like a type of movie that starts out at the middle and then brings the reader on a journey to discover the truth. If I had to compare this to another work, I would have to choose the film Pulp Fiction, in which each story within the film is a story on its own, but is connected to each other in some way. Both the film and this book is a story that is incomplete without the smaller stories that make it. Like a giant puzzle, this book forces me to discover the story on my own, getting a clearer view of the story as I put the pieces together. Of all the books that we’ve read so far, I enjoy reading this book the most. Not only is her writing style clear and easy to follow, but the story is also intriguing.