Transnationalism

The idea of a nation identifying itself as a global nation solidifies the transmigrant’s identity of belonging to a nation while residing in a different nation. This is a great thing for the home nation, but I see how this troubles the government of the residing nation. It brings doubt to how loyal their citizens are. It also makes it harder for the government to control and discipline their citizens if their citizens adhere to foreign principles above local laws. Socially, and politically, it can cause many troubles. During World War One these transnational links were viewed as detrimental to the U.S. cause. However, this flow of immigrants gave the nation the cheap labor that they needed to improve the economy. When the immigrants made transnational ties, the U.S would be able to use these ties to get political or economic influence in foreign nations. On the other hand, the Philippines, Haiti, and other nations were able to use their transmigrant networks to improve the conditions back home.

As I read this paper, I began to realize the extent that my family here has influenced our relatives in Ecuador. I always knew that whatever reunion or fundraiser we did was because my family misses Ecuador and they want to give back in any sort of way. Now, I realize these things that we did had a big impact at home. My family has links through Ecuador mainly through our religious community, which is based on the Church of Saint Teresa. In January we finished funding the new roof for a church in Deleg, Ecuador. Every year on Christmas, we do a procession around a couple of blocks in Sunnyside, just like many Ecuadorian communities do around their local parishes. I participate in these events and I believe that I can adhere to the American policies and the Ecuadorian policies. I am not sure if this is always the case, but I feel that it is in Ecuador’s best interest, being a developing nation, to not try anything too rash against the American government. However, we as transnational Ecuadorians, should be able to fight for political influence in America to stop discrimination and improve conditions for Ecuadorians in the United States, as many immigrants have done before us.