Week 6 Journal

Brown Girl, Brownstones was a very enjoyable read. I, honestly, did not expect to like the book as much as I did. I found the characters very relatable and so different from one another, which made them compliment each other. It was very interesting to see Selina change so much throughout her journey of becoming a woman and how she dealt with her sexuality, family and community. I think Marshall really highlighted some of the biggest issues a child faces on their way to becoming a young adult. Throughout the book, I was proud of Silla for pushing for her dream of owning a brownstone; and in a way she fulfilled the stereotypical immigrant who works hard all day. Deighton was frustrating but also heartbreaking. I think his dream of striking it rich with accounting or his other little attempts were all doomed to fail, and he continued to follow that dark path. HIs splurging of all the money from the land was the breaking point where we could see just how lost he was. It was frustrating to read about his actions. I think Ina faded more into the background, as she became the quiet, respectful child who did as she was told. Selina was much more rebellious and she had a loud voice. It was interesting to see her grow up because I found her to be so much like both her parents. She was a dreamer like her father, but she worked hard like her mother. It was nice to see her relationship become stronger with Silla, and I think Silla inspired her to go on this mission to be her own woman. Selina left Brooklyn for the Caribbean with Deighton’s dream and Silla’s strength. I know of a lot of family members who’s children return to the homeland once they are adults and I think it can result in mixed opinions from the parents. Personally, I think my mother would have been so upset. In her eyes, she worked so hard to make a life in a new and better country so I could have a better life, and she would see my return to the homeland as me tossing it all away.

The breakfast scene (Book 3) with all the women of the house was a little frustrating.  It was hard to see Silla become sort of crazy about Deighton’s land. I think it showed how rocky their relationship was and how hard the times were. It was also sad how Selina tried to reject her body maturing because she didn’t want to be like the rest of these women, who to her symbolized a sort of evil and corruption. I think that overall, this was one of the most powerful scenes in the book.

Theorizing Transnational Migration focused on reasons for transnational migration and the debate on immigration. The article discussed how Filipino and Caribbean immigrants would still be connected to the home country and their extended families. I was able to connect with this from first hand experience because my family is still very connected to our extended family in Israel. For my extended family they’ve had children go back and forth between U.S. and Israel to receive an education (usually higher level like college). Also we helped family that moved here find jobs and “maximize the utilization of labor and resources.” Another of the article that I liked was about the debate of immigrant loyalties to the U.S. and reducing the flow of immigration. Its been an extremely heated debate currently especially with the current issue of illegal immigrants coming from Mexico.