Mapping NY’s Noisiest Neighborhoods

I enjoyed this article, as it was very different from the ones we have read in the past. As a quantitative thinker, I enjoy data and its visualization, so this article was right up my alley. It was interesting to see the different ways the data was presented. It really helped me, as a reader, to understand the different origins and causes of noise pollution. It was also really interesting to see the different underlying patterns of noise pollution, such as how complaints of loud music/partying ends around 6am, where complaints from air-conditioning units and construction equipment begin. I also thought it was funny that there are noise complaints for something as specific as ice cream trucks was its own category.

The article definitely lacked a scientific aspect, but this was to be expected. I think in this lies an opportunity for anyone looking into the topic to take on that aspect and look at it in a less opinionated and more scientific, eloquent manner. Also, seeing the impact this noise pollution has on the environment is definitely an application that would be very useful and important with regards to our class. I also thought the idea of correlation versus causation would another interesting alley to explore further. To what extent are the data presented and the reasons offered actually related? Exploring all these different lines of thought creates opportunity to determine potential solutions and mitigants for the problem of noise pollution.

Overall, I thought this article was a good starting point for investigating noise pollution, seeing as how (according to the article) the City has not started conducting formal research/examination into the problem yet. Now that the data has been presented in an easy-to-understand manner, the next step is to explore its implications.