Response: City at the Water’s Edge (Chapter 8)

I have to admit I chuckled when Betsy McCully writes, “Once he mentioned the trees, I became excited” (111). “Seriously, trees can trigger that much excitement?” I thought. However, to be honest, I have a secret attachment to trees. Growing up in the suburbs, I have always been surrounded by them. I watch the trees grow over the years, changing from season to season, reminding me the time of year. Their constant presence makes it seem as if they are watching over me too. Not to mention, I always appreciate the shade they provide on a sunny day. I was devastated when many trees fell during Hurricane Sandy or were chopped down immediately after, out of fear they would fall on someone or something. The streets looked bare.

Ironically, the European explorers also had a great appreciation for trees-but for the riches they could provide. For example, they used timber among many others types for shipbuilding and hickory for firewood, cogs and rounds in mills, farming purposes etc. They liked trees for all that they could become, but not for what they were. They were greedy, wasteful, and disillusioned in thinking that these resources were infinite. This assumption was probably a result of discovering this very land. Up until recently, America was unknown to them. After such a discovery, imagine what else they assumed existed in the vast world.

However, it did not start with the Europeans. I was surprised to learn that civilized man has been responsible for ecological devastation even in the ancient Roman era. I always assumed that the situation was becoming progressively worse, especially as a result of development and technology. But if anything technology has the power to combat the problem! We have so much information at the tip of our hands and the tools to address it. The first step is acknowledging why we, including the average person who does not necessarily have any relationship to trees, should even bother working towards the goal. Naturally, I typed into Google “benefits of trees” and found some really interesting fun facts on treepeople.org, so I thought I would share some with you:

• Average temperatures in Los Angeles have risen 6°F in the last 50 years as tree coverage has declined and the number of heat-absorbing roads and buildings has increased.
  • Three trees placed strategically around a single-family home can cut summer air conditioning needs by up to 50 percent. By reducing the energy demand for cooling our houses, we reduce carbon dioxide and other pollution emissions from power plants.
  • In one year an acre of mature trees can provide enough oxygen for 18 people.
  • Studies have shown that patients with views of trees out their windows heal faster and with fewer complications. Children with ADHD show fewer symptoms when they have access to nature. Exposure to trees and nature aids concentration by reducing mental fatigue.
  • Neighborhoods and homes that are barren have shown to have a greater incidence of violence in and out of the home than their greener counterparts. Trees and landscaping help to reduce the level of fear.