City at the Water’s Edge Chapter 9 Response

While I was reading chapter 9 of City at the Water’s Edge, I was shocked to read that there are over 25 different warbler species and 100 different total bird species in Central Park during May. Prior to reading, I would have guessed maybe 30 total and would even consider that guess liberal. It was also fascinating to know how important birds were for native americans, using them for tools, food, and jewelry as well as burying them with the dead.

One thing I found interesting was the story about the eagle and the hunter. After the eagle and the hunter both won over each other, they made a pact, no man would be allowed to kill an eagle again. This made me think of it being a potential reason for the bald eagle to be the United States national bird.

Something about this read that I was relieved about was that there are no longer billions of pigeons flying around before the mass slaughter of them by farmers and other hunters. I don’t think it would be pleasant to live somewhere that the sun would be blocked by a black mass of birds flying overhead.

This chapter seemed to connect with the rest of our previous readings in a sense that humans didn’t seem to show remorse about killing off a species of birds until it was too late. They were acting very short sighted and greedy as they would kill one species non-stop and then just move on to the next one to simply benefit themselves in that moment.

Based on that, it seems that it is human nature to follow the rule “survival of the fittest”. If they can benefit themselves with a particular action, they will do it for the short term benefit. Relating this to past readings, the killing of the birds is similar to cutting down trees and getting rid of natural habitats and wildlife to simply benefit the popular opinion of humans.

-Michael Woyevodsky