Thoughts on Assimilation

I think assimilation is something that is bound to happen if you come from another country into America. As a second generation New Yorker, I have lost many of my ethnic traditions and values. My Colombian and Ecuadorean grandparents were forced to learn English to make it in New York and become citizens. As a result, my mother and father knew some spanish and english. However, when they had me, it was never an obligation for them to speak to me in Spanish. Hence, I can’t speak the spanish language and in that sense, a part of my Hispanic identity. I cannot blame though anyone for the fact that I lost touch of my Colombian and Ecuadorean heritage. It is simply the nature of immersing yourself in an entirely different culture.

On that note, I also feel like American media has influenced our society consciously and consciously to behave and dress a certain way. From the blonde Barbie dolls given to little girls as a child to the conservative political comments on the immoral connotation of hijabs said on television, every single American is forced to changed when facing groups they have differences with. They ways in which Americans have changed to get along above are a serious issue. No one should have to change who they are as long as they aren’t hurting anyone else physically or mentally. I think these aforementioned issues can be addressed if more people can become cognizant of the realities different ethnic groups or whatever distinct groups have. People are so quick to judge without even thinking twice about how their intelligence on different people can be absurdly partial.

I think people are bound to assimilate naturally when coming to America, but no one should be coerced into changing themselves so long as they can function well in the system here. It is best for us to be inclusive and open minded to different ethnic cultures before coming to any conclusions.

This entry was posted in Week 4: Sweatshop Assimilation in the Jewish Lower East Side. Bookmark the permalink.