A Threatened Lifestyle

When I was a junior in high school and working on college apps, there was this one sweet shop that I had always went to. It was called Sweet Adele’s. Sweet Adele’s was located near the LIRR station, so on my way home from school my friends and I would stop by there to finish work or study before heading home. My favorite aspect of the cafe was the variety of sweets available. They had a variety of candy, bubble tea/cafe drinks, cake, and homemade desserts such as chocolate fried oreos. Not only was it a great place to hang out with my friends and get work done, but also a method of satisfying my sweet tooth.

After the start of second term senior year, I stopped going to Sweet Adele’s. I started to commute home from school a different way to hang out with friends and so I saw no reason to stop by Sweet Adele’s. The next time I went there the summer before college, I saw that the owners had put up a sign announcing that it would eventually close. I believe at the moment that this place has closed down.

Part of the reason I feel like Sweet Adele’s closed was due to the competition. There was a Paris Baguette and a Caffebene a couple blocks away from Sweet Adele’s. Since these cafes were commercial, they had more space and were better attractions to people who came for the cafe experience. Even though Sweet Adele’s was styled to be a cafe, it was used more as a sweet shop due to the fact that there were already two cafes nearby.

Although I don’t know the exact reason that Sweet Adele’s closed, I can assume that competition by commercial cafes played a big part in it. Even though I don’t visit Bayside anymore so it isn’t too big a deal, it’s still hard to believe the fact that a part of my high school experience is gone.     

This entry was posted in Week 2: The Endangered Enclave. Bookmark the permalink.