Why I believe Ellick is a failure

Ellick says he failed to penetrate and experience the “ethnic underground” of Jackson Heights and I believe it is because he did not try and immerse himself into the culture properly. I feel that the reason he felt like an outsider is because he kept himself on the outside and never really tried to “open the door.” He could have done a better job immersing into the many different cultural experiences of Jackson Heights instead of just focusing on night-life. In my opinion, the reason Ellick failed was because he didn’t try hard enough to immerse himself into the culture.

One way Ellick slacked in immersing him into the culture is his lack of communication. He could have tried to make friends with locals in the area. He never really mentioned in his writing that he tried to communicate with other people in the area. If he had just tried to interview people, or make friends, then maybe things would have gone differently.

Another reason Ellick did not succeed was that he did not try to partake in any cultural hobbies. He could have tried to take part in culture events in the area or try and find a new hobby or passion. If he had tried to immerse himself in the culture, then he would eventually start feeling more welcome by others.

My motto is always, “It’s only awkward if you make it awkward.” I feel that part of the reason Ellick could have felt like an outsider and not succeeded is because he thought of himself as an outsider and he let that image get the better of him instead of changing it. If he had just tried a little harder and stepped out of his comfort zone, either by making new friends or finding a new hobby, then maybe he would have succeeded.

This entry was posted in Week 3: Describing Diversity. Bookmark the permalink.