Category Archives: Bio Blitz

BioBlitz: A Reflection

“Here we are sighting a Celtis Occidentalis!”
My groggy eyes flit open just as Daniel, our enthusiastic group leader, sprints forward, leaping over the wired fence and pointing with a child’s glee at our latest find. Pen in hand – I volunteered myself as scribe for the day – I quickly follow my peers as we rush down the Bridle Path to meet him. With a wide grin, Daniel tugs gently at one of the many slender, red-brown branches, bringing it down to eye level.
         “Look closely” he murmurs.
Sharp tunnels of sunlight twine through the tree as we form a tight circle of hurried breaths, already tired from running through the humidity.
Seconds of silence.
We squint, heads huddled forward, ten eyes to one leaf.
A gasp. I search until I find the focus of such surprise: tiny, almost unrecognizable, round and dark red-purple berries scattered across the stem. Daniel steps back, patting the bark with pride.
         “This here is your Common Hackberry tree, and those berries are little miracles of nature, feeding a number of birds and mammals, and…”
He pauses, glancing down at his watch.
         “… are edible to humans too, and look at that, it’s lunch time! Dig in!”
We laugh, but Daniel shakes his head.
         “Here,” he says, placing a berry into each of our hands. “Eat.”
Dry and coarse, but with the sweet tang of a raisin or a plum, the unique taste of the Hackberry lingers, even after we set off in search of more discoveries.

To say I was sleepy when I arrived in Central Park last Tuesday morning would be quite the understatement. Exhausted from spending my Monday moving into the dorms, the last thing I wanted to do was wake up at 6 AM to observe and record flora in the heat. Moreover, though I understood the great value of the BioBlitz to scientists and other researchers, I was unsure of its significance to me – an individual who enjoys nature, but who does not intend on pursuing a career in science. Nonetheless, I committed myself to partaking in an event that had not occurred in over a decade – and that, in itself, I found quite incredible and rewarding.

Following Daniel – a researcher from the New York Botanical Garden – I found myself in awe of the workmanship and dedication of plant collectors and botanists. Carrying his press, he made several stops to exhibit the process by which specimen are preserved and later stored in herbariums, providing permanent and tangible records of each species’ existence for future knowledge. After clipping the plant – always including any leaves, flowers, fruits, and/or nuts – he would carefully note its physical characteristics such as height and color. Here, technology came into play, as we were able to use our smartphones’ GPS to aid Daniel in recording the exact coordinate locations of each specimen. Placed under pressure between sheets of newspaper and two wooden boards, the specimens would later be dried over artificial heat, and then, authenticated and filed into a collection.

Learning about this collection process allowed me to not only appreciate the great biodiversity present within the city, but also gave me perspective on globalization and its immense impact. As we wove through the park, we found many native species, as well as many non-native – and sometimes invasive – species. Looking up at the tall, worn barks of the trees, I stood in amazement, captivated with thoughts of how each began its life as a seedling – possibly carried by an animal, accidently transported via trade, or even planted by a human, either purposefully, or fortuitously, a seed caught on clothing, a silent companion to an unknowing immigrant traveling to new earth. As a writer, my mind spun; I could only wonder what interesting tales reflecting upon the history of New York City these trees would tell if only they could speak.

After having had this BioBlitz experience, I now recognize how flora and fauna inherently reflect societal changes on both a local and global scale. In addition, particularly with the Hackberry tree encounter, I have found this experience to be quite humbling. Growing up, I always valued time spent simply with nature, away from the noisy and congested confines of city streets, but even then, I did not often pause to “look closely.” Were it not for Daniel’s insistence, I doubt many of us would have noticed or dared to eat the hackberries, these tiny, yet beautiful creations. Furthermore, as a self-proclaimed foodie, I now see the different possibilities of incorporating truly natural, organic, and sustainable ingredients into my cooking. Though I’ve never heard of hackberries in any dish, I have learned that they are abundant in the Northeast and might just add an interesting flavor to some desserts – hackberry jam-filled cookies anyone?

Bio Blitz

When I first heard that the Macaulay sophomores were going to do the Bio Blitz, my first question was what exactly is a Bio Blitz? As I began to understand what we were doing, I thought the 24-hour canvassing of Central Park would be a unique, once in a lifetime experience. To the humor of some of my friends, I began to look forward to the Bio Blitz.

When I arrived at the Bio Blitz, I was assigned to the plant group. The first thing our group did was to go examine a specific tree. One of the group leaders discussed how to differentiate between trees by examining the bark, leaves, and size of the tree. We then learned how to use a press to preserve a piece of the tree for further studying. The pressed piece of tree could be submitted to an archive, where other botanists can examine and confirm that the sample is indeed that specific specie. The press reminded me of a fond memory of when my grandmother used to show me how to make pressed flowers with heavy books, so the Bio Blitz was off to a great start!

The plant group proceeded to take a long walk through Central Park. Finally we arrived at our destination, the Shakespeare Garden, which is comprised of the flowers that Shakespeare referenced in his literature. The garden was beautiful and brimming with flowers. We observed cardinals, roses, fennel, rosemary, pansies, and hibiscus flowers. I love reading Shakespeare, so seeing the flowers that he discussed in his plays all in one place was exciting. The connection between nature and literature is amazing and affects the way Shakespeare’s famous lines regarding flowers are understood. It is impossible to understand the full extent of what Shakespeare meant when he used flower references, if one does not know what the flower he is referring to look like. The use of biological discovery to appreciate literature and the beauty of the plants themselves was a fun journey.

The Bio Blitz experience helped me feel more connected to the natural environment. It gave me the tools to continue learning about all of the nature around me. I enjoyed using technology, such as the iNaturalist app, to further my scientific knowledge. Now, if I am outside and see a species I am curious about I can use the app to locate the species easily! With the advent of the Internet and social media websites, it is extremely easy to upload a picture of an unknown plant and have someone from around the world identify the plant for you. Another route is to use online archival databases to look up thousands of species at the touch of a button. Technology continues to help make knowledge accessible to the masses.

The Bio Blitz experience gave me a better appreciation for the wealth of plant types in New York City’s Central Park. Bio Blitz confirmed New York City’s incredible diversity, both in people and plants. Additionally, a picture of me wound up in a NY Daily News article, which was very exciting! The Bio Blitz was a great learning experience both in and of itself and for all my future outdoor discoveries.

Nature in the City

Cars, trains, and loud noises are only five minutes from here!
One of the many paths at Wave Hill. Cars, trains, and loud noises are only five minutes from here! (Photo taken from Google).

For a long time, New York City to me has always been just that: a city. All I ever saw (and loved) was an endless sea of automobiles, noises, and smells. I appreciated the chaos and unpredictable nature of city life. I discovered another side to the city when I went to Wave Hill for the first time (Since I was unable to attend the Bioblitz, I chose to discuss my experience at Wave Hill instead). Wave Hill is a huge public garden in the Bronx that overlooks the Hudson River. There are acres upon acres of grass, gardens, flowers, and the like. Despite the fact that Wave Hill offers an array of events for visitors, I found myself just wanting to roam the pathways.  It was hard to believe that I was in the middle of the Bronx in this seeming oasis of peace.  It was a completely different world. There was something about being surrounded by trees, the river, flowers, and the dirt roads that made me feel at ease. I normally enjoy nature but knowing that the hustle and bustle of city life was only five minutes away made my experience more meaningful.

As I walked through the gardens and past the ponds, I realized that the elements of nature I was seeing could also be seen all over the city. We just don’t usually take the time to notice them because they are harder to find. Though somewhat scarce, trees do exist in Manhattan. If we “stop and smell the roses”, it almost seems as though the little bush in Times Square was plucked from a place like Wave Hill or Central Park and inserted onto the pavement. While walking through the Village, I have seen some interesting species of insects here and there. I think that as we rush about our daily lives, we often don’t realize that there are hints of “Wave Hill” style nature all around us. A place like Wave Hill makes it easier for us to appreciate nature in a city environment.

One particular moment in Wave Hill highlighted to me the fact that nature is all around us in the city, in some form or another. I was walking around the pond, witnessing the lily pads float on the surface of the water, when I thought about similar looking lake across the street from my house. There is actually a natural environment closer to me than I tend to  realize. Because nature has a loose definition (anything natural), the tree in front of my house would constitute as nature. The bird flying over my house is nature. No matter where we are, some piece of nature is present with us and that is what Wave Hill really made me realize.

My experience at Wave Hill also emphasized the difference between nature in the countryside versus nature in the city. When I visit my grandparents’ rural town, I find the natural sights very pleasing and lovely but I don’t appreciate them as much as I appreciate nature in the city. My grandparents live in the country; nature is a given there. When a place like Wave Hill or an event like the BioBlitz comes along, I start to realize how special it is to have a different kind of nature in the city. It is so much more exciting to discover a bird, tree, or flower in the city than to discover “nature” in a rural area where natural sightings are more expected.  The excitement comes because since we really have to invest the time and look for these things, the discovery of them is all the more rewarding.

Sometimes, I don’t want to take my time and look for evidence of nature in the city. I am too busy getting to where I have to go. Wave Hill was a reminder that even though we might not take notice, nature is there somewhere around us. It is a comforting thought because cities are usually not viewed as peaceful places with hummingbirds and daisies abound. Although this is often true, nature is right in front of us in New York City. All we have to do is look.

Science AND Technology vs Science OR Technology

Coming into the BioBlitz, I had certain expectations as to what I thought would happen and what I would gain from it. This was a unique experience, one that I considered to be a once in a lifetime opportunity. After all, when would be the next time I could spend three and a half hours dedicated to a nature related event led by a knowledgeable professor in Central Park? This, I anticipated, would be a way for me to connect with nature, to truly become one with the outside elements. I would witness a part of the world that I often fail to properly appreciate, a type of neglect that I attribute to my preoccupation with technology. Separating myself from the bustling city streets would enable me to instead focus on the innate beauty and wonder of the great outdoors. And yet, I came to discover that various aspects of technology at this event stood out far more prominently than did our analysis of nature.

When our tour first began, I was excited as to what was in store for us. Our guide pointed to a paw print in the mud, an aspect of nature that I would have otherwise ignored. I started wondering about its origin: What kind of mammal had created this? What was this mammal doing here, in this particular location? My creative juices flowing, I eagerly approached the spot to gain a better view. Unfortunately, a man in our group, carrying a professional camera, prevented me from doing so because he insisted on first taking many photographs of it. I was dumbstruck; this man hindered my attempt at learning more because he deemed his pictures of the footprint to be more important.

From that moment on, I felt that the nature of our trek had changed. We were there more to document Central Park than to really appreciate it. For example, while I stared in awe at the intricate pattern of the spider web, the photographer would continuously adjust his lens to accommodate the shining sun.  His frantic insistence on documenting everything we saw impacted our group’s mood, for it caused us to be  hesitant to get involved.

There were other strong technological presences besides for the professional camera. I was surprised to discover that my peers and I had perfect cellphone reception. As a result, I heard cellphones ringing frequently, much more often than birds chirping, as our guide had promised we could detect if we hushed. The chirping from the cicadas was prominently audible, but I have already heard that particular noise in nature before. Additionally, I noticed others using Instagram and Twitter to upload pictures of animals they had just seen. While it was their way of sharing their excitement, I nonetheless felt that the technology took away from the grandeur of the moment. What bothered me even more was the fact that Macaulay did not just condone this behavior, but in fact encouraged it: they designated a hashtag for people uploading pictures and statuses to social media. Thus, when we were fortunate enough to witness a bat from a close distance, there were more people uploading a picture of it than physically looking at this rarely seen nocturnal mammal.

In hindsight, I was extremely fortunate to participate in such a unique experience. I had never before viewed Central Park as a haven for diverse wildlife; our educated guide really opened my eyes to various natural elements that I had previously taken for granted. Nonetheless, the Bio Blitz left me somewhat disheartened because it reinforced the reality of the fact that technology is taking over-so much so that it is preventing us from paying attention to the great outdoors. While the title of this class is “Science and Technology in NYC,” I expected the technology to serve more as a means of reinforcing the biology we were exposed to; instead, I felt that it often overpowered the science. I came out thinking that sometimes, it is important to appreciate nature for nature’s sake.

My BioBlitz Experience

Waking up early on the very last day of summer vacation to walk around a park would not be ideal to most college students.  However, for the BioBlitz in Central Park many Macaulay students were more than excited.  Having gone to Central Park many times, just for fun, I was ecstatic to hear that our class was picked to explore the wildlife of the park.  Studying the plant life, watching the animals in their natural habitats, and exploring parts of Central Park I had never seen before sounded like a perfect way to spend my last day of summer vacation.  Especially since we had the opportunity to be in the park before most New Yorkers were even awake.  With this excitement and motivation to find wildlife I never knew existed in Central Park, I set off to the train station at 4:30 a.m.

The trip to the park was less than enjoyable, having to deal with the usual annoyances of waiting for trains that do not run too often before the morning rush hour, but after about two hours of riding and waiting for our trains, we made it to the West 97th Street entrance to Central Park.  The first nervous thought I had was that I would end up not seeing much of the park, since we were a little late.  Thankfully we ran into the director of the BioBlitz, and she helped us find a group to join in on.  I ended up in a group that was searching for birds.  We started walking down a path where we saw a group of cardinals, a few morning doves, and some robins.  Already five minutes in and we were learning something new!  The director explained to us that there are two robins in the world.  The ones we saw were not actually robins; they were thrushes.  The Europeans named them robins when they came to America because of their resemblance to the European robin.  We also learned that the morning dove was a relative of the pigeon, which explained why they were moving their neck in pecking motions.  Sadly, this was the highlight of our Central Park adventure.

Once we found the rest of our group, we set off on a mostly uphill journey.  At first, the trip was not that uneventful.  We saw a few other birds, but they were so fast that by the time we moved our binoculars to our eyes, they were gone.  Beautiful flowers were out and blooming on almost every bush we walked by.  We passed a couple of calming waterfalls and very cute bridges.  A turtle even graced us with its presence as we walked across one of the bridges.  This was the experience I was hoping for.  Seeing different animals in the park that we do not usually come across and finding new areas of the park that I didn’t know existed.  However, this did not last long.  After we passed the friendly turtle, we barely saw anything new.  Aside from the geese swimming in a line across a pond, there was nothing new and exciting in our part of the park.  Even all of the plants began to look the same.  Our guide began telling us, about once every half hour, that because of the weather it would be a quiet day.

Overall, the BioBlitz was not a complete let down.  I still experienced some of the purposes of the event, despite the weather and travel issues.  I would have loved to see more of Central Park and its inhabitants during this event.  However, what it made me realize is that there is more to Central Park than meets the eye.  It is not just a place to hang out on the weekend or where tourist must go when they visit New York City.  It is a place for many of New York’s organisms to call home, and we got to take a little look into that.  It has changed my outlook on not only Central Park, but also New York as a whole.

My Bio Blitz Experience

When you think of the city, nature is the not the first thing that comes to mind.  Instead, the tall buildings, the grimy sidewalks, and the bright lights make up the image of New York City.  When I heard that the sophomores of Macaulay were allowed to explore the biggest park in New York City with specialists, I was proud and excited.  I was even willing to get up at the ungodly hour of 4 am.  A time that looks a lot different waking up than it does going to sleep.  I couldn’t wait to learn about the previously uncharted natural element of New York City.

However, due to a few unfortunate instances and bad luck, I was unable to properly enjoy the exclusive opportunity that was given to me.  The trains are not as frequent as were expected, so instead of getting there promptly at 5:45, we arrived precisely at 6:30.  Despite the timing, the muggy weather and the early hour, my energy was up and I was ready to learn about the birds of New York City.  Unfortunately, the birds were not ready for me.  Due to the rain the night before and the awful weather, most of the birds were somewhere else.  As a result, my group wandered perpetually uphill in search of a morning dove or a robin.

The beginning was promising.  Before we were put with a group, the director of the program led us around.  She was incredibly knowledgeable about the few birds that we saw.  We saw a morning dove, and learned about the origins of the robin and how it came by its name.  Apparently, there is another type of robin in England, with no relation to the one here in New York.  Here, they were originally called thrushes but when people came from England they thought that the birds looked like the robins in England so they named them robins.  This is why every species has its own Latin name as well as a common name, so they are never confused.

Partly due to the lack of birds and partly to the weather and hour, I did not have the exciting experience I was hoping for.  One of the good parts of the very long, uphill journey was that I was able to see the more scenic side of Central Park.  I went down some paths I never knew existed and would have certainly never seen if they had not been directly pointed out to me.  There were a few times where, and this could have been contributed to the lack of sleep, that I forgot I was in the middle of the city, and not out hiking in Long Island, where I grew up.  I saw some beautiful landscapes that I had never seen before, despite having been to Central Park many times.  I saw a turtle, a new experience for me in the city, and some gorgeous ponds.

I think maybe I was unlucky; Mother Nature was against me.  Between the weather and the lack of birds, I was unable to truly get a sense of how much wildlife inhabits Central Park.  I learned a few interesting facts here and there; for instance, many of the birds that live in the park did not originate there.  They were brought over so that the park would have every bird ever mentioned in Shakespeare.  Other than that, my experience was not very eventful.  However, I was able to fully appreciate for the first time the expansiveness of the park.  I never really understood its vastness until that day.  The fact that there is a place in the middle of the city where you can be enveloped by nature is an incredible feat.

I am not usually a nature girl.   However, I can appreciate the miracle of nature and how important it is to maintain it and help it thrive.  I am thankful for Central Park and the wildlife that it brings to New York City.  While I did not have the experience I thought I would have, I did learn to appreciate the natural element of New York City.